PG Music Home
Hi

The song plays for a couple of bars then locks.

I noticed it locks when the big lyrics window shows (on opening the file) but no lyrics have been added.

I need to ctrl alt delete.

Anyone else got this problem.

2023 1006

George
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 12/31/22 04:52 PM
Is this MIDI file something you made or is it from the Internet?

Maybe you could post the file so others can look at it?
Hi Mario,

here is a link to a song it is a mgx

Me and Bobby Mcgee

Thanks for taking an interest.

When the file opens don't close the empty lyrics page and just play the song.
It locks up with me at bar 5.

Happy New Year

George
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/01/23 02:37 PM
Locks up here at Bar 9. By the way, this is an .mgx file not a midi file.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/01/23 03:21 PM
This is really weird. I clicked on the song and it opened BiaB. I then clicked on play. I clicked on the song again, a fresh start, and click on regenerate. I opened BiaB, another fresh start, the selected the song and hit play. Started BiaB again, selected the song and hit regenerate. I repeated these processes a number of times. In all cases the song played perfectly.

Note that this is on my Internet computer that uses the on board Realtek audio chip.

I will retry this on my music computer.

{edit} I just tried this on my music computer. I use the Roland Octa-Capture as my audio interface on this computer. I got exactly the same results as above.

As far as I can tell the only difference between your and my computer is the OS as I also have an i7 desktop with 16 gigs of ram. You are running Windows 11 while I am running Windows 10. Music Student is also using Windows 11. Maybe that is the difference?
Posted By: shlind Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/01/23 03:21 PM
It works fine here. I just played it up to bar 90 and it plays well and the lyrics are shown ok.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/01/23 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: shlind
It works fine here. I just played it up to bar 90 and it plays well and the lyrics are shown ok.

There were no lyrics shown is all of my tests.
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/01/23 03:42 PM
?? Historically, a corrupted .mgx file (assuming that is what we are dealing with) could be opened and fixed in RealBand.

Unfortunatley I never installed 2023 RB and now find I don't have a download access to it. Have to put that on the list.

Could it be Win11??
Hi MusicStudent,

I ran Realband and opened the file.

It played and showed the Lyrics (although I had to find them - on track 6 by the way)

So I saved the song and opened it once more in BIAB but it hung up the program at bar 9.

Funny that it played ok in Realband but not in BIAB so I don't think it is related to the OS.

P.S. I have sent an email to support for them to take a look at this problem.

Regards

George
I'm not sure if this might assist, but you could try Options > Return to Factory Settings (Most), restart BiaB and try again.
Hi AudioTrack,

Been there and done that but no difference.

Thanks for taking an interest.

REGARDS

George
Posted By: etcjoe Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/02/23 09:57 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Locks up here at Bar 9. By the way, this is an .mgx file not a midi file.

maybe referring to an all-midi style vs. this being a midi file.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/02/23 10:03 AM
Opened and ran fine for me all the way through. 2023, build 1006, Windows 11. Had no issues. chose different audio drivers and midi devices and could not get it to crash.
Posted By: MikeK Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/02/23 11:38 AM
Locked up for me at bar 5 as well. Had to use the Task Manager to shut down BIAB 2023/1006 on my Win Home 10 machine.
Posted By: shlind Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/02/23 12:41 PM
If I play it from the Chord Sheet view: It works fine and plays fine and the lyrics are shown ok. It works fine to play again and again and and to generate and play again.

If i play it from the Notation view: It plays fine the first time around. If I play it again or generate and play again it Crashes in memory violation.

If i play it from the Piano Roll view: It Chrashes the first time around with memory violation.

But within the Chord Sheet view it seems to work ok.

Then I did a Factory Reset and now it seems to play fine in all Views (chord view, notation view, load sheet view and piano roll)

Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB Locking up when old midi song loaded - 01/02/23 02:00 PM
Duplicating what shlind did I played the song from the notation view and it played perfectly AND it showed the lyrics. The lyrics were with the notation.

I played it from the piano roll view and it played perfectly but no lyrics were shown.

Once I expanded the big lyrics window the lyrics and chords were shown in the chord sheet, the notation view and in the piano roll view. This is probably just my inexperience with the big lyrics view as I have never used it before.

With this MIDI song either crashing or playing perfectly regardless of the OS this bug (?) may be hard to exterminate.

I used the MIDI monitor and saw a ton of redundancy with the CC values. Although I have not used this MIDI monitor I have used others outside of BiaB and I as far as I can remember I have never seen this type of redundancy. Those whom are having crashes may want to delete the redundancy as see it that helps.

Attached File
© PG Music Forums