PG Music Home
Posted By: mark.ogier How about a blues category? - 09/22/18 04:59 AM
Hi
Can we we have a blues category in the song collections pls? I see we have Jazz, Pop and Country.
Not all blues songs are a simple shuffle
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: How about a blues category? - 09/23/18 07:41 PM
+1

It seems that not too many forum members are fans of blues songs. Having a blues song category would provide blues fans the opportunity to suggest songs to add to the song database and may generate some interesting song discussions.
Posted By: mark.ogier Re: How about a blues category? - 10/01/18 10:37 AM
Hi
Yes I think too many folk thing that blues is a 12 bar shuffle and thats it. How wrong. There is such a wide variety of styles and feels in Blues I think having some users like us putting forward song suggestions in a Blues category would open some eyes (ears maybe..)

Come on forum admin, it cant be that hard smile

Cheers
Mark
Posted By: mark.ogier Re: How about a blues category? - 10/15/18 06:40 AM
Still no Blues category..... frown

Are PG listening? Maybe not....
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How about a blues category? - 10/15/18 06:51 AM
As someone who has never once used the Song Collection feature, and given that you already know that you don't want a shuffle, wouldn't it be easier to go to the style picker and select and even feel? IMO, this would effectively filter out all the shuffles.

FWIW, my favorite blues songs (and despite my moniker, which is derived from one of my favorite Steely Dan songs, I'm not must into the blues), are in 12/8, such as Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You.

When I'm looking for a compatible style, I filter by blues and type 12/8 in the filter string (or maybe it's 128 if the filter string work with slashes, I don't remember).
Posted By: mark.ogier Re: How about a blues category? - 10/17/18 09:20 AM
Hey DB

Yeah 12/8 is a great groove, but mostly used for the slower feel blues tracks (Think Stormy Today, Rather Go Blind, Red House etc etc)

What I would really like to see would be a Blues & Swing category. That would really open things up. Think of all those great Swing songs done by Blues masters like BB King. And all the swing classics that are built on a blues groove.

Then add in all the gospel blues songs by people like Freddie King (Aint Nobody's Business etc) and you have a rich variety of blues and swing songs that are really the foundation of so much of the Jazz stuff so beloved by much of the BIAB community.

Come on PG Forum Admin, add the category, lets get these songs listed! frown
Cheers
Mark
Posted By: Charlie Gannon Re: How about a blues category? - 11/01/18 05:21 PM
Hi Mark,

It is true that we don't have a Blues Category listed on the Forum for Songs to add to the Band-in-a-Box Song Titles Database...but we do have a "Blues" genre in the Database, with over 400 song examples from artist like B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray, etc...

So I'd recommend posting specific song/artist examples that are missing from the database either in the Pop/Rock or Country thread, or creating a new topic like you did here.

Our thinking was that it would clutter up the Forum if we had 21 seperate topics for the 21 genres in the Database (Folk, Funk, R&B, Celtic, Bluegrass, etc....), so we've just created 3 broad categories.

Thanks,
Charlie
Posted By: drutgat Re: How about a blues category? - 11/01/18 09:34 PM
Given Charlie's reply (above) could there be middle-ground in which the convention becomes to have the first word or two in the 'Subject' field of the post descriptions of the genre, IN CAPITALS AND BOLDED, followed by a little more specific description?

e.g.,

BLUES - Slow Ballad in 6/8

or

FUNK / SOUL-INFLUENCED mid-tempo instrumental, 'My Baby's Gone'
Posted By: Louder Me Re: How about a blues category? - 08/16/19 06:39 AM
If your are choose to Saving your favorite song to Long time, you choosing, Blue category Feature,
you Easily change your song style, filter and change to shuffles mode. this is fantastic way to save your dj, rock , hip pop songs in Database system.
Posted By: conticreative Re: How about a blues category? - 09/26/22 03:38 PM
I second the blues category. I just upgraded to BIAB 2022 and while I found some decent blues styles, most seem pretty generic.
There is blues beside texas Blues. Nothing wrong with it, but more variety would be nice.
© PG Music Forums