PG Music Home
Posted By: AlastairLC BIAB for IPad Improvements - 04/02/14 03:42 PM
For those of us using BIAB for IPad in performances, the following improvements are crucial:
1. Ability to go to the next song in a directory in one step rather than through the "open" menu,
2. Ability to go straight to song's end at any time with one tap,
3. Visual, rather than auditory, count-in.
These improvements would make this app ideal.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 09/22/14 10:20 PM
In addition to these before-mentioned wished-for improvements, the following errors need to be corrected:
1. Once songs are transferred to the IPad, they can't be renamed or deleted. Tapping on the down arrow to the right of the listed song in the Open menu gives those options only for the first song in the menu, not the song tapped.
2.Diminished chords don't show as diminished.
3. Highlighter doesn't track in 3/4 time.
4. Volume changes made on the PC don't transfer to the IPad. This is true for tracks, mutes and fade outs.
5. Intro and outro sections are too dark to read.

The IPad version of BIAB is such a useful version, it's a shame these things haven't been corrected.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 11/06/14 03:57 PM
Thank you for the recent upgrade to the BIAB IPad app in which you corrected the problem of songs not being able to be renamed or deleted.
However I don't think you addressed the other problems I mentioned in my earlier posts.
Most importantly, we really need the ability to go to the next song in a directory rather than going through the multi-step Open menu. There's room for a "Next" icon at the top of the screen that could do this.
Thanks.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 11/03/15 09:23 PM
One other request: a variation on the "one tap to next song" ability. After playing a song, tapping "File, Open" should bring us back to where we were in the directory of songs, not the beginning of the list so we have to scroll down, creating more dead air space.
Any chance of having these improvements for Xmas?
I've got an important gig coming up. Thanks.
Posted By: dkm Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 11/21/15 07:45 PM
Amen to those suggestions, Alastair. A "next song" in a folder in which the songs could be arranged by setlist rather than alphabetically would be a huge help. I'm using the app on gigs and it ends up taking an inordinate amount of time to locate the next song in my set list by having to scroll through alphabetically and select the song.
Posted By: Dan Neuman Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 12/21/15 05:29 PM
I haven't been able to save to folders (though I can make folders) while downloading, and I don't see any way to move files to different folders, so hopefully this can be addressed (if it isn't just my problem). At least I can rename songs for a gig with a number in front to put them in order in the list if needed.

The biggest problem for me right now is not following properly if the song is not 4/4, particularly 3/4 music (where the style has "waltz" in it) but also when I have time changes in bars.

Of lesser concern is the lead-ins. It seems I have to include the 2-bar drum tap in the audio file, but when I tell the app to not include the lead-in, it often cuts off part of the first bar (sometimes a complete 1/4 note) when starting. This usually isn't much of a problem (though it doesn't sound great) since the app shows me where it is in the music, but for 3/4 music it is a nightmare. A setting to say that a lead-in is not included in the audio would help here.

A more consistent chord font size (user preference) would be nice, instead of the jumble I get when I have multiple chords per bar.

Of course, the real dream is to show notation on the page. A simple way to do this would be to print to PDF and include the PDF in the download of the file, and highlight the bars on the appropriate pages. Since BiaB can control how such a PDF is printed, it can know how the resulting pages are formatted and where the bars are.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 12/21/15 08:40 PM
Dan, the IPad version will save the BIAB song file to whatever folder it was in on the desktop version. You can then save it to a different IPad folder using Save As, then, using the up arrow to get to the folder you want, tapping Save.
Posted By: Dan Neuman Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 12/25/15 09:29 PM
Thanks, Alastair, that helps.

Dan
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 01/05/16 12:41 PM
One more thing: when renaming/deleting a song, the directory pops up to the beginning of the song list instead of staying still so the name can be changed/deleted (without having to scroll back down).
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 03/15/16 05:31 PM
I forgot to mention: the iPad version doesn't handle repeats.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 08/16/16 12:25 PM
Some features that would help me.

1. Set list capability - or just a better (quicker) interface for selecting songs
2. Individual track volume control. Levels are never equal. Some need tweaks.
3. The ability to add and play simple mp3 or wav files with the player. There are just too many times where one needs to process a biab version with a DAW before making it playble onstage. Likewise sometimes its just easier to purchase a backing track. These can't be used in the biab ipad version

The visual capability to see where you are in the song is a great thing. But only 50% of my material is in biab/wav/IPAD format. Having the 3 features above would allow me to use the ipad app as my main (perhaps only) onstage software.
That would indeed be beautiful.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 08/16/16 06:55 PM
The current iPad version can handle your first two needs, MrGeeze.
1. If you create a set list in your PC version, it can be downloaded to the iPad. New songs already on the iPad can be easily added directly to the set list using "File/Save as".
2. Individual track volumes can be adjusted using "Settings/ Volume".
The iPad app is my only onstage software.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 08/22/16 12:17 PM
Another thing. The usual way to create set lists is to place numbers in front of the song names so the songs appear in the playing order rather than alphabetically. This doesn't work in iPad BIAB for lists longer than nine songs. "10. Song Name" appears after "1. Song Name". (I end up using "9A, etc.) There must be a way to fix this.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 08/22/16 01:08 PM
When I created numbered lists, I usually use enough digits for the number of items in the list by using leading zeros.

So, I use 01, 02, ... 09, 10, 11, .., 99. If you use 00, you get 100 items on your list, and it always sorts properly.

Likewise, 001, 002, ... 009, 010, 011, ... 099, 100, 101, ... 998, 999. If you use 000, you get 1000 items on your list.

Does this not work for you?

Lots of programs sort that way. It's because it views the file name as a text string, not a number followed by text.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 08/22/16 01:54 PM
Why didn't I think of that! Yes, that works perfectly. Thanks, John.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 09/15/16 09:15 PM
If the improvements suggested on this thread aren't a high enough priority for PGMusic yet, can we at least get a "Next" button to move to the next song in the directory in one step? I can live with all the other issues for now, but the current multi-step process is a real problem in a performance setting. Please PGMusic, can we have just one little button? smile
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 04/06/18 12:16 PM
Still waiting for PG Music to fix and improve their iPad/iPhone version. It’s been 4 years! Can we at least get a “next” button? Please?
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: BIAB for IPad Improvements - 05/08/18 12:31 PM
Another glitch in the BIAB for iPad/iPhone:
If you touch the text space for song name, the program freezes and you have to reboot your iPad. Not good in the middle of a performance!
PGMusic, fix your program!
© PG Music Forums