PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/20/18 07:53 PM
I've noticed multiple forum members have day jobs as worship center music directors. Some have mentioned using Band-in-a-Box to create music for worship services.

My idea is to have a Praise & Worship forum section to exchange conversations relating to the creation of songs for use in worship services. The conversations may range from song arrangement requests for assistance, ideas for songs to use during a service, how to perform certain Band-in-a-Box tasks and so on.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/20/18 11:25 PM
That could be useful for me. It’s a small part of what I do, but I am the church director of instrumental music for special/holiday services. We have very odd instrumentation so I have to write or revise just about everything. I often use BIAB along with other tools in this effort. Collaborating with others could be helpful.

Good suggestion, Jim.
Posted By: jford Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/22/18 10:19 AM
As the paid director of Music Ministries at the Methodist church I attend, I would love to have a discussion area for church related music.

Even though my main focus is choir-centric traditional worship style, I also work with the contemporary praise team and we often have special music events. So I can see a lot of benefit to this kind of forum.

+1
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/22/18 05:50 PM
The only reason I can think of NOT to do this is that others will want a separate forum for each music genre. I think we want to avoid that. In my opinion, there are too many subforums now. I wonder if this is more of a Tips and Tricks type of topic? I don't know.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/22/18 11:48 PM
Church music is not a genre. It is non secular. Every music genre I know of has a Praise & Worship equivalent be it classical, folk, rock, hip-hop, country, blues. The only one I'm not sure of is jazz because I don't know much about jazz.

My concern while writing the post is forum members that do not have a Christian heritage would feel excluded. While that is possible I don't believe that is the case.

Band-in-a-Box predominately supports Western based music. I have acquaintances from the Middle East and Pacific rim and Western music is becoming increasingly intertwined with music from these cultures. I believe any person using BiaB realizes the program is based on Western music so, while their religious songs may not be as familiar to us as traditional Praise & Worship songs they still will follow that concept. (Difficult to explain. I hope that made sense.)

The other negative thought I had is the underlying subject matter, religion, may make some users feel uncomfortable. That argument is more difficult to defend. By nature, this forum wants to be inclusive. A forum can't be inclusive if it makes someone uncomfortable.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/23/18 12:06 AM
Oh sure, plenty of jazz. I’ve done a lot. Classical normally, but jazz and folk often too. I see your point
Posted By: edshaw Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 01/24/18 11:44 AM
Can't you ask a tough one, Jim? Seriously, though, I would
not want to see us risk the informality and range of interests the forum has now. I want to keep up wth what everyone is doing.
This is not to say the hymnal could not use better representation in the styles sheets. I'm working on a BB
for a version of "It'll Be Worth It After, All," done in the classic non denominational gospel soul style, a lot of pauses and syncopation. I'mhaving a time of it. Hey, that's half the fun. (Anyone willing to take a crack at it?)

Gospel jazz is what reignited the Duke Ellington band when it looked like dance bands were history -- 1956. Then, there was Ray.
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 09/29/18 04:28 PM
From the dates of the posts, it looks like nothing has happened on this. That’s a shame.
I use BIAB backing tracks when I play guitar solos at the Episcopal Curch of the Nativity here in Scottsdale, AZ. I just use bass, fingerpicking and strumming guitar tracks. That way, I can play melody or improvise. I used to record my own guitar backing tracks over BIAB's bass track, but gave it up as too time consuming (after all I’m not paid for this.) But I never have BIAB play what I can’t.
These solos are very popular. I play mostly spirituals, not praise songs. The latter need a rock band and vocals, and I’m not keen on them.
I’d be interested to hear what songs others are using in this context.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 10/14/18 06:03 PM

Jim,

Somehow I missed this.

I think this is a good idea. I play in a Praise and Worship Band in my church too.

It is all live, and we sort of wing it, though we do practice. It is all live musicianship and intuition following the vocalists, basically.

How do you see such a forum making a contribution to do the cause so to speak, and what might we do?

We don't use a lot of backing tracks.

Do you have ideas of other things that might be shared and discussed?

Thanks for bringing this up.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 10/15/18 08:07 PM

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=newreply&Board=50&Number=495434&what=showflat&fpart=1

Here is a new member using BIAB to pitch church songs to the music director
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Praise & Worship Forum Section - 10/15/18 08:51 PM
Hi David,

I don't have an idea how the section would work. I figure it will be like the other sections where users decide what and where are the best place to post.

Over time I've noticed many frequent forum contributors comment they also contribute in different musical ways to their house of worship. Since most use Band-in-a-Box in some manner to me it makes sense to me to combine the two, overlapping interests.
© PG Music Forums