PG Music Home
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 02/09/10 10:02 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to use the Guitar Rig VST plugin to record guitar in PT. I have managed to get monitoring of the "wet" signal (i.e. the sound produced by Guitar Rig) by assigning the Guitar Rig VST plugin to the "input monitoring" channel, and turning on Input Monitoring in the ASIO settings.

But the recorded audio is still the "dry" signal - i.e. without the VST effect. While that may be fine in some situations, in others I really would like to record the "wet" signal, including the effect. I thought I could do that by also checking the "Allow IM Recording" in the ASIO settings. That indeed records the wet signal, but it turns out really distorted, sounding like the wet signal have been fed back into the effect several times.

Am I missing something obvious?

By the way, I'm using an M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra sound card. It does not seem to allow me to alter routing or mix in the sound card itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Bjorn
Posted By: rharv Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 02/09/10 11:05 PM
What is selected as the main recording input and output driver? Exact names. (Options-Preferences -Audio-Drivers button)

Are there any other effects in use on that track that could be causing this? Is the track being sent to any busses or aux?

It seems weird that inside the soundcard you have no adjustments. Did you receive a disk with it? Did you not install it because Windows 'saw' the device? Drivers are at question here.
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 02/10/10 10:55 PM
Thanks for your answer!

Input ports: Analog In 1 Fast Track Ultra + Analog In 2 Fast Track Ultra
Output ports: Software Out 1 Fast Track Ultra + Software Out 2 Fast Track Ultra

I have the M-Audio sound card installed correctly. The sound card has 8 input channels, and 8 output channels. I only use 2 inputs and 2 outputs. In the M-Audio control panel, I have a mixer where I can control the level of the dry input as well as the software returns. I however don't have any possibility to change the routing: The software return always goes to the main output.

Experimenting further, I realize that it is the *playback* that gets distorted by selecting "Enable IM effects recording":

If I record a track with a real time effect applied to the "input monitoring" channel and have "Enable IM effects recording" checked, I get the wet sound both in my monitor and recorded on the track. But if I then play back the newly recorded track (while still having "Enable IM effects recording" checked), it sounds terribly distorted.

In fact, any track (audio or midi) sounds distorted on playback if I have both "Enable Input Monitoring" and "Enable IM effects recording" checked. Regardless of whether any realtime effect is defined or not.

Hmm. I must be missing something. Very grateful for any further advice!

Regards
Bjorn
Posted By: rharv Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 02/12/10 06:59 PM
There isn't a routing tab in your M-Audio software?
It is separate from the mixer in the M-Audio softwares I use..

I think this may be where your answer lies..
Have you tried selecting a different output port? I do not have that exact device so I can't suggest alternative, but in the one I have if the 'monitor mixer' is used in routing things can get looped back thru.
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 02/13/10 08:02 PM
Thanks rharv, that solves the problem! In M-Audio FTU, the "Input Monitor" realtime effect sent from RealBand/PT always goes to the same output pair as the input (i.e. output 1+2 for input 1+2). If I however assign all audio tracks to a different output channel, (e.g. output 3+4), the problem disappears.

Thank you all for your help!

Regards
Bjorn
Posted By: rharv Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 02/14/10 12:48 AM
The powerful routing in those M-Audio cards can sneak around and bite ya sometimes .

Glad you figured it out with the clues provided. Do us all a favor and hang out and help others here.
Posted By: Brian Scarratt Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 05/23/10 12:44 PM
Hi i think we all have the same problem, mine does the very same only i am using the guitar rig 4 foot pedal rig which is awesome, this unit so my brother said has studio quality sound on board ,oops bro just said its a kontrol rig and has its own sound,any ways i connected it up and some times it works brilliant and some times it dont ,it must be some thing i am doing when i set it up ,as i get it working some times ,
Posted By: MoBuc Re: Monitor and record "wet" signal? - 09/15/10 08:41 AM
Hi all,

RHarv gave the best solution of what probably causes this problem. It worked for me too.

However, if you do this & still have the distorting...A discovery I made FYI:
I don't understand the Techs of it but, often when I'm using "Enable Imput Monitoring" & "Allow IM Effects Recording", I have to 2 do this or I get distorted play back. Increase your "ASIO Buffer Latency" within your "Audio Set" -> "ASIO Audio Drivers" -> "ASIO Driver Control Panel".

I think a normal setting may be 10 . I've increased it to 20 or 50 and got clear playback thereafter. I don't understand why a Latency setting might have this effect. But it worked when my Real Time Fx Outputs were not being recorded by my Inputs & I still had the distortion.

Best of my memory, this did not start happening until I upgraded to PTP2010 from PTP12. It also, seems to occur with large .seq files (400mb +), using 48Khz format.

Again, it worked for me but- I don't know why? Maybe my distortion was caused by other reasons. Sound Card driver, Hdd Speed, etc. Hope this helped someone.

-Mo
© PG Music Forums