PG Music Home
I have an Audigy II ZS Platinum and I think there's a bit of a problem with the 'What you Hear' output. It affects other recording programs as well as PT which have the choice of various inputs - including 'what you hear'and I get a distorted sound with almost a dalek type efffect. However, I want to use ASIO drivers in PT so when I select them, I can easily choose from the list of ports offered the front panel mic input for adding vocals etc. However, sometimes in the past for ease I have played all the midi tracks and recorded them on one audio track using 'what you hear' and MME drivers. However, if I want to stick to ASIO drivers I can't seem to get any sound recording from any of the ports and I can't spot which of the ports offered is the equivalent of 'what you hear'. Does anyone use Creative ASIO drivers and can tell me what the right port is for recording what I hear from the midi tracks onto one audio track?

I have the Edirol HYper canvas and can find an easy way to export a WAV file of the whole recording and save it somewhere else, but no way to merge them all to another track on PT.

advice would be appreciated!
Hi Bob,

It is not very likely that the ASIO driver will have a "what you hear" option. Of course you could accomplish that externally by connecting your output to the input and recording. However, you would get better quality audio by using the "what you hear" option with MME drivers.

Using the Edirol Hyper Canvas, you could use Audio | Merge Audio and DXi Tracks to Stereo Wave File, save it somewhere convenient, then just drag the file back onto an empty track in PowerTracks.
The Creative ASIO Driver incorporates both Input and Output and you should be able to record any ouput from the speakers without problems. If you are having problems also with the MME drivers then I would suggest a reinstall of the soundcard software.
thanks Lyn B - but any idea before i try them all (and take a long time doing it!) which is the Creative ASIO input that allows me to record the sound going to the speakers? the names are a little obscure!
It's all in the routing. You want to route the output back into another input port.

For this purpose (mixing tracks to audio) why not just switch back to MME, get the work done, then switch back to ASIO for realtime additional work?
its mix l mix r in the creative asio drivers. I was going wrong using the inputs labelled analogue as I assumed the 'what you hear' was the signal routed to the speakers which I thought would have been analogue. the trouble with the MME drivers is that even in PowerTracks - as well as Audacity and Creative Wave Studio - using What you Hear results in bad distortion. Whether this is due to the Creative drivers just being rubbish with Windows 7 I'm not sure but using ASIO everything works fine although for recording 'off air' PT isn't as user friendly as Audacity.

One issue I found was that expoer to wav file didn't give me the full file of the programme i was recording - just the first 30 minutes. Merge tracks ect - even though there was only one track got me the whole programme as a wav file. maybe that was just a glitch.
sorry - forgot to say thank you for the advice!
If you're a good computer guy and not afraid you could dump the Creative drivers and go with KX drivers.
I am currently using a Creative X Fi card which has problems with recording with MME drivers and, therefore, I use the ASIO drivers which give good results. To record, arm a highlighted track as Mono or Stereo, select solo for the Midi Track you wish to record and select RECORD Icon. Stop after one bar to check that recording is taking place and that the depth of the recording is satisfactory. Do check the settings for Record in the Creative Control Consul - too high a level of record can result in distortion.
thanks everyone - i now have things working but i'm surprised that creative haven't got their drivers right for windows 7 yet. the what you hear and MME are flaky but the asio driverw work fine
© PG Music Forums