PG Music Home
Posted By: RAMALAM Keys of F# and C# - 06/01/13 12:06 PM
Do the key signatures for F# and C# look WRONG on your installation of Power Tracks Pro Audio, or did I just get a bum copy?
Posted By: rharv Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/01/13 01:07 PM
What do you mean they look wrong?
Notation?
Posted By: ROG Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/01/13 11:01 PM
There is a known issue on some hardware / software configurations where PT throws up unnecessary accidentals in the Notation window. Once the track is saved and re-booted, the accidentals disappear.

Is this what you're getting?

ROG.
Posted By: RAMALAM Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/02/13 04:08 AM
When I start a file in the key of F#, I get a key signature in the notation window consisting of 6 flats after the bass and treble clefs; in other words, I get the key signature for Gb instead of F#.

When I start a file in the key of C#, I get a key signature in the notation window of 7 flats after the bass and treble clefs; in other words, I get the key signature for Db instead of C#.

What do you get?

When I used to use Power Tracks version 6, selecting the key of F# would put a regular F# key signature after the clefs; that is, 6 sharps, and selecting C# would give me a key signature with 7 sharps.
Posted By: rharv Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/02/13 11:23 AM
I see the sharps for both F# and C#
Posted By: ROG Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/02/13 11:44 AM
Me too, same as rharv.

ROG.
Posted By: rharv Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/02/13 01:18 PM
What version are you running, RAMALAM?
Posted By: RAMALAM Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/09/13 03:06 PM
2012 (1)

The "Use Jazz Music Font" doesn't work either.
Posted By: RAMALAM Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/09/13 07:08 PM
I fiddled with it and the Jazz Font works now. But my key signatures for F# and C# are still 'flatted out.'
Posted By: silvertones Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/09/13 09:36 PM
Mine is fine also and could not locate any option that may allow this to happen.
Posted By: ROG Re: Keys of F# and C# - 06/09/13 11:19 PM
If you've got PT on disk, it might be worth trying a clean re-install. This often sorts out problems quicker than anything else.

To perform a CLEAN re-install you need to first uninstall PT from the control panel and then manually delete the pt folder from the hard drive before you re-install from the disk.

ROG.
Posted By: Mac Re: Keys of F# and C# - 07/16/13 01:27 AM
If you have entered chords first, the keysig might be reflecting that chord and reverting to the flat keysig instead of the sharp.
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: Keys of F# and C# - 02/07/14 03:55 PM
Just a quick comment.

You don't play in C#. You play in Db.

You don't play in F#. You play in Gb.

Yeah, there are # & b notes. But keys . . .

Natural and flat. C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb & B
Posted By: Mac Re: Keys of F# and C# - 02/07/14 04:46 PM
Maybe YOU don't play in F# and C#.

This issue also concerns the type of music you play, and those who don't have interest or experience with other types may think that way. For example, I myself don't "typically" want to have to think in the two Sharp keys when improvising modern musics of the Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock, Country, etc. genres.

However, there are even certain times when that must be done, because there are indeed a few Jazz pieces and etc. that were written in C# or F#, Keith Jarvis comes immediately to mind.

And as for the Classical repertoire, there exists a considerable amount of great pieces written in those two sharp keys. Where would we be without Chopin's Nocturne in C# minor for just one example? And, in the case of that one, it really makes a lot more sense to view it as C# minor, since the Relative Major key is E Major with its 4 sharps in the Key Signature. The same consideration must be given for pieces written in F# minor, the Relative Major key being A Major.

Should only take a bit more practice to incorporate the ability to play in two more keys and think in those keys while doing so.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums