PG Music Home
Posted By: riddlereader Importing a midi file - 11/06/13 03:01 PM
If you record a midi file with another application, at a tempo other than 120, how do you import the file into Power Tracks so as to get the bars lines in the correct places?

Ed
Posted By: Mac Re: Importing a midi file - 11/06/13 03:25 PM
I do it by first setting the Tempo to the target, then bring in that MIDI file.

Can also do it after the fact, with a bit more on our part, if you Import first you can then change Tempo to suit, but may find that you have to highlight the entire Yrack and Slide it backwards or forwards along the Timeline to get the first note event to line up with the first beat in the first bar.

This is not something that is only Powertracks: almost every sequencing/DAW program I use, gotta do the same.

Some programs feature a Beatfinder or Tempo finder routine, I've forgotten whether or not Powertracks has such a feature, check the manual or Help file.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: Importing a midi file - 11/06/13 10:48 PM
Mac?????????
If you open a MIDI file in PT it'll set the tempo that the file was saved with.
Posted By: Mac Re: Importing a midi file - 11/06/13 11:46 PM
Not always, John.

That's because far too many of these free internet downloaded MIDI files have been created by folks who don't bother to set the Tempo, nor the Key Signature properly.

So you get a MIDI file that's playing in the key of Eb at a Tempo of 208, but your software is being set by the file to the default of C and 120 bpm.

And then nothing lines up.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Importing a midi file - 11/07/13 12:21 AM
Quote:
If you open a MIDI file in PT it'll set the tempo that the file was saved with.

User asked about importing .. this is different. If he meant 'opening', Mac's explanations can still be true. Not all devices correctly save the Tempo data for one thing, even if the tempo was correctly set during recording. Setting PT to the 'known' tempo beforehand, as Mac suggested, is the most likely path to success in these instances.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Importing a midi file - 11/07/13 01:33 AM
I 'spose that's true if the person recorded midi free style.If the person didn't set the tempo on his/her tune how can you preset it if you don't know it. we're splitting hairs. MOST midi files that have been done correctly have some sort of tempo and usually the right one.
Posted By: Mac Re: Importing a midi file - 11/07/13 03:33 PM
A lot of Step-Entry MIDI files suffer from the same lack of proper settings saved with the files.

It may have something to do with people who can create MIDI files by ear or by rote, yet don't care to take the time to understand music notation, terminology, etc.

I suspect that a good many of them cannot read the notation part of the programs.

Therefore, if the playback sounds okay to them, the goal has been achieved.

But those kind of free MIDI files do exist, John, and there's plenty of examples of them for download.

Over the years here, I've helped out quite a few users via PM and even telephone calls to sort out this problem, so I'm not talking out of conjecture here, but from hard learned empirical evidence. Sometimes I have had to resort to getting the user experiencing these kinds of problems to email me the offending MIDI file and I'm able to change things such that it plays - and looks - okay by doing things such as I mentioned above. Other times, I've encountered files that just could not be fixed easily, those were often due to files where the song target has Tempo changes, Rubato elements, offtime sections, etc. that do mimic the target song recording, but without the original MIDIOT who created the file knowing what to do to make that happen correctly in the sequence, well.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: Importing a midi file - 11/07/13 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac
A lot of Step-Entry MIDI files suffer from the same lack of proper settings saved with the files.

It may have something to do with people who can create MIDI files by ear or by rote, yet don't care to take the time to understand music notation, terminology, etc.

I suspect that a good many of them cannot read the notation part of the programs.

Therefore, if the playback sounds okay to them, the goal has been achieved.

But those kind of free MIDI files do exist, John, and there's plenty of examples of them for download.

Over the years here, I've helped out quite a few users via PM and even telephone calls to sort out this problem, so I'm not talking out of conjecture here, but from hard learned empirical evidence. Sometimes I have had to resort to getting the user experiencing these kinds of problems to email me the offending MIDI file and I'm able to change things such that it plays - and looks - okay by doing things such as I mentioned above. Other times, I've encountered files that just could not be fixed easily, those were often due to files where the song target has Tempo changes, Rubato elements, offtime sections, etc. that do mimic the target song recording, but without the original MIDIOT who created the file knowing what to do to make that happen correctly in the sequence, well.

--Mac

Yea it's meaningful discussion.
One good way to sort out these free form midi files is to first render them to a stereo wav file.Then run it through the ACW to create a tempo map. Then re-import the midi. Then delete the audio.
Posted By: riddlereader Re: Importing a midi file - 11/07/13 05:33 PM
Thanks to all for the insightful and helpful comments. This is a really helpful group of people.

As it turns out, I had a bit of a misunderstanding when I posted the question. I had generated the file myself, with Pianoteq, and since I was playing with the Pianoteq metronome going, I assumed it kept the metronome setting as the tempo in the midi file. But after posting the question, I played the file in Van Basco, and found that it assumed a tempo of 120. Then I dug into it and came to understand that some midi files do not have tempo info, and if there is no tempo setting, it is assumed that the tempo is 120.

So the solution to my problem was to use the Length of Midi Music feature, adjusting all notes by a factor equal to the ratio of the desired tempo to 120, then play in Power Tracks at the desired tempo as suggested by Mac above.

I learn something new every day.

Thanks again,

Ed
Posted By: Mac Re: Importing a midi file - 11/07/13 05:50 PM
Don't thin twice, Ed, matter of fact I've suspected that those downloaded internet MIDI files in many cases were likely created in the same fashion, using a MIDI keyboard without first setting the BPM value away from the default 120BPM.

Why the manufacturers of such keyboards don't link the built in metronome setting automatically to the recording of MIDI remains a puzzlement.

And, since the entire file is "only" MIDI data, why the same mfrs can't come up with a simple algorithm for detecting and setting the Key Signature automatically as well, such as Band in a Box can already do if asked, is another puzzlement.

Perhaps it is because the only people involved in development of those things are already rather accomplished trained musicians. Out of sight is out of mind. heh.

Have Fun,

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Importing a midi file - 11/08/13 01:20 AM
There is a way to store this data in the MIDI specs, but there are some manufacturers/devices just don't use it. My experience has been that if the data is there and stored correctly, PGMusic products support it. This is one reason I like Roland products. There are other reliable brands, but the point is if it is stored it works .. if not you'll have these issues. No fault of PT or RB or BiaB.
© PG Music Forums