PG Music Home
Posted By: ranger88 PTPA Popularity - 11/25/14 01:11 AM
I've been using PTPA many years now. It's been a while since I've logged in. I remember when the PTPA forum was very active. One member was great and very knowledgeable answering questions for everyone. But now I see that the forum is not very active. Is PTPA not that popular anymore? Just wondering...
Posted By: insolentlad Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/25/14 09:27 AM
I would suspect that RealBand has stolen much of its thunder (and functionality). PTPA remains my go-to for recording and composition.
Posted By: rharv Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/26/14 08:30 PM
That 'One Member' may have been someone who has been missing (and being missed) from many of the forums here (Mac).
Looking at the most frequent posters list I realize Russ hasn't been around in quite a while either, might have been him.
He checks in once in a while but isn't active here anymore.

I try to watch the PT forum and participate. I'm more active in the RB forum, but the RB forum is more active than the PT forum.

I'd guess more than half of the previous PT users have moved on to Realband, plus the BiaB users who never tried PT now get RB included in the package, so it's part of the equation. More users means a more active forum.

Posted By: ROG Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/27/14 06:27 AM
I think rharv has it about right and that Realband is taking over.

I've used Powertracks since it went audio around version 6 and if anyone is looking for a good workhorse DAW at an unbelievably good price, Powertracks is still hard to beat.

These days, I tend to start a project in Realband, just in case I want to include any Realtracks, but when I return to the track I still work in Powertracks, simply because it boots faster. With the current price, I can easily afford to do this.

I would hate to see the Powertracks forum disappear and keep checking it to help where I can, as rharv does.

ROG.
Posted By: Luiz Dias Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/27/14 01:08 PM
See link bellow:
http://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq1.htm , item 6, you can see a comparison between BIAB, RB and PT
It is outdated but works as a reference...
Posted By: Luiz Dias Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/27/14 02:07 PM
By the way, in my opinion PT is so very good for novices, that need to do simple things. PT is very easy to use. So, donĀ“t scary the novices. That is good. AND is not only usable by novices, because expert people need and DO simple things, IF clever...
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/27/14 02:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Luiz Dias
See link bellow:
http://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq1.htm , item 6, you can see a comparison between BIAB, RB and PT
It is outdated but works as a reference...

Luis, thanks for including the link.

The last updated December, 2013 item 6 indicates the only feature PowerTracks has that RealBand or BiaB does not have is the Helicon based Harmonizer feature. I have not used the feature yet but I believe harmony became available 2014.

I've often wondered if I would gain anything by trying PowerTracks but from the chart it doesn't appear that I would.
Posted By: ranger88 Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/29/14 01:57 PM
So in order to get RealBand, one has to purchase BIAB and RealBand? It's all one package now?
Posted By: rharv Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/29/14 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: ranger88
So in order to get RealBand, one has to purchase BIAB and RealBand? It's all one package now?

Realband would have no advantage over PT without BiaB, so to answer your question; yes.

Otherwise RB and PT are virtually the same. The difference is RB can take advantage of BiaB features and PT cannot.
RB comes with BiaB packages. It was never a separate purchase.

If you have RB, PT becomes a moot point to be honest, unless your system struggles due to resources. RB may be a slightly heavier load, but can do everything PT does so far and then some.
Posted By: ranger88 Re: PTPA Popularity - 11/29/14 05:25 PM
Thank you, rharv. I see I've been gone a long, long time, LOL...
Posted By: solidrock Re: PTPA Popularity - 12/05/14 06:51 PM
I have the BIAB-RB Package but I only use RB if they could release RB as a separate lower price app or bring PT up to that level even the new PT 2015 should have Loops & UserTracks this would be gettin' closer with the Free UserTrack List growing daily now including Drums with part markers, pre n post fills n endings, might just up the level of Pro Tools,. . oh sorry i mean Power Tracks.
Posted By: ranger88 Re: PTPA Popularity - 12/06/14 07:06 PM
LOL, everytime I read music forums and people talk about PT, I don't know if they're talking about PowerTracks or Pro Tools. I don't think I would like the learning curve associated with Pro Tools -- or the price!
© PG Music Forums