PG Music Home
Hi everyone ...

Long story, short: my XP machine crashed and I've been working to change over to a Dell laptop with 2.8GHz I5 (duo core) laptop with 8G of RAM running Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

My current audio interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (USB 2.0) with latest driver.
I'm new to the USB audio interface domain; coming from a dedicated sound card in my XP desktop.

I currently use PTPA version 12. I did a test run with the set up and got some clicks and pops during playback. My material typically runs over 30+ tracks.

Should I upgrade to PTPA 2015?
Keep the M-Audio Fast Track?
If not? Why not? And more importantly, audio interface recommendations?
The Fast Track seems to work but also seems spotty at times maybe due to the old PTPA and/or I haven't spent any real time dialing it in yet.

Thanks very much!
Are you using an ASIO driver for the FastTrack. If so, you may need to adjust your buffer settings to eliminate clicks and pops.

I don't have the FastTrack Ultra, but I do have the FastTrack Pro and it plays cleanly on my Windows 7 laptop. I do remember having to adjust the default ASIO buffer settings, however, to get it to play properly.

Unfortunately, I'm not at my music computer, so I can't explain how to do this, but you should check your user manual for the directions. I believe FastTrack installs a FastTrack control applet in Windows Control Panel, so I would look there first. Make sure no music apps are open when making the changes.
Hi ... thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm trying to use the ASIO driver.
I played with it a little more this evening and still have the same results (drop outs, clicks, pops, and even some garbling at times). I've tried a few different buffer settings with no luck.

I'm on the fence with trying another audio interface (Focusrite, maybe). And/or going ahead and just getting my desktop back up and running ... thus putting off the inevitable audio interface decision for later.
© PG Music Forums