PG Music Home
Posted By: sde Can't save .MID as .MP3 : "No codecs found" - 10/26/16 06:57 AM
Hi,

I hope someone can help me out. I've just purchased and installed Version 2016 (5). I edited a MIDI file, and now I wish to save it as an MP3. So I said "Save as MP3". I see the "Converting to audio..." progress bar, then I see the "Select a format" dialog. My only choice is "MPEG Layer-3". I have no available choices for "Attributes". I click OK, and then get an error: "No codecs found for this file format."

Can someone help me discover what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much,

David
sde,

You're not doing anything wrong. It sounds like your system doesn't have the drivers/codecs for converting audio to mp3 format.

Because these drivers are propriety software, PG Music cannot include them with the products they sell. PG Music programs will use them if they are already on your system.

The easiest way to put them on to your system is to download and install k-lite codecs. These are free. As with all freeware, though, be careful if you decide to install it. These days, unwanted add-ons seem to be included in most freeware and it's necessary to do a custom install and deactivate those options.

Is there any reason that you need to save files specifically in mp3 file format? Power Tracks will save in wma format, too. This should work for you since wma is the Windows format. Files saved as wma are around 1/10th the size of the wav file (just like mp3). I personally favour wma.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: sde Re: Can't save .MID as .MP3 : "No codecs found" - 10/26/16 07:40 AM
Noel,

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I'm doing this for a friend; if he can accept the wma format, then I'll use that. Otherwise I'll follow your suggestion re: getting the MP3 codecs.

David
sde,

++ HERE ++ is a link to the free, open source LAME MP3 encoder.
If you opt to go with LAME, you'll have to make sure to install the ACM installer version. Instructions are provided in the download and it's a little different for 32-bit versus 64-bit operating systems, so read carefully. It requires entering information on a command line.

Just installing the LAME standalone EXE and DLL will not allow PowerTracks (or RealBand) to see the CODEC. The ACM version installs into the registry and allows PowerTracks (and RealBand) to find the CODEC.
I've successfully used this ACM approach before also.
Here's one place to find it
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php

As always, be safe when installing stuff.
I've used Rareware before but I don't maintain the site, so follow good practices when downloading/installing from anywhere.
Friend,

Been a long time since opening PowerTracks, but can offer an approach to consider.

Maybe just superstition, but I never trust a DAW for conversion to another format. I always render to a wav file, maybe a final stereo mix directly from the DAW, and rely on an external agent to manage the subtleties of format conversion. Thus render the PowerTracks session to a decent wave file. Then check out...

dbPowerAmp: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Would recommend buying the registered version. Shareware and freebie dismantles the mp3 codec in a month if you don't buy, but leaves all other native or free optional codecs fully functional.

Cheap option is to let the mp3 encoder to go south, keep the exquisite functions regarding other formats.

For mp3, need an open source supplement. Can go with this alone if only mp3 conversion is needed.

Go with WinLame front end for the LAME mp3 encoder:

http://winlame.sourceforge.net/

Then, get the actual mp3 encoder upgraded. Last version was something like 3.99.5. Receding into the past, but all you need or can hear any difference in.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

Secret of the windows use of *.dll files is that the dll located in the program directory with the exe file of the program will use that dll over whatever is cluttered in the system directories.

You are looking for the lame_enc.dll file from the LAME page to put in the WinLame folder with the WinLame exe file.

From this point on, you are set. Will not fix world problems of hunger and injustice, but all issues regarding format conversion will be solved within the state of our current art.

Best,
John
The 2017 versions will finally have a message "Click Here To Download an MP3 Codec" smile
?? How could you know that (actually, don't answer)
I'm glad to hear it if this is true. I think the mp3 codec patent laws finally change next year (in US), so it would make sense.
How many times has "I can't save to MP3" been asked over the years in the forums ?
That's why so many other audio apps give a download link and you put the Lame.dll in a folder that the app uses, like Audacity:

How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?
Because of software patents, Audacity cannot include MP3 encoding software or distribute such software from its own websites. Instead, use the following instructions to download and install the free and recommended LAME third-party encoder to export MP3 files with Audacity. See the LAME Legal Issues page for more details.

1.Go to the external LAME download page......

Same with ASIO support in Audacity it can't be distributed with it but you can compile it yourself.
Just to drive the point home, if you want to create MP3's directly from BIAB (or RealBand or PowerTracks), you CANNOT just download the LAME (or anyone else's, for that matter) stand alone MP3 CODEC. Many other programs do allow the use of the standalone (either the EXE or call the DLL version) and you have to point the program to those files.

PGMusic products, however, rely on CODECS registered within the Windows registry. It uses standard calls to the registry to locate the installation of various CODECS. That's why you have to install the ACM version of the CODEC, because this registers in Windows registry.

Over the years I have seen many people say, "I downloaded LAME" and unzipped it to a folder and it still doesn't work. That's because the stand alone version is not "installed"; the files are just copied to a folder and then you have to tell your program to use them. But PGMusic doesn't do it this way. It has to go through the Windows registry.

I personally would like to see PGMusic change to support the standalone version. That allows for easy upgrades to newer versions. I have a number of programs where I just point to the LAME DLL and it uses it. I like that model better.
© PG Music Forums