PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Can Someone Listen to 1 bar of Music for Me? - 12/18/16 04:53 PM
I have one bar of music I'm having a problem with. I have the Hal Leonard transcript for it but it does not seem to match the notes on the score.
It is from a Chicago tune. I know the score is for B flat horns, but even after transposing, it still does not seem to match.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Bernie
Sure, post the BiaB file .. and tell us what key you think it should be in.
It's from Power Tracks but the audio file is in MP3 and I can post the notation as a pdf.
OK .. links?
Added the transcript file. NOw have to figure out hot to get the mp3 to you...

Attached picture Sam.jpg
Attached picture Sam.jpg
How can I post the mp3 to you? Thanks - Bernie
Click my name
I did but didn't see where I could attach a file. I know I've sent files to people before, but can't remember how I did it....
Bernie
Sent it to you attached to an email. Thanks! Bernie
Bernie -

Which Hal Leonard "Chicago" book are you pulling this from? And just looking at it, the riff seems familiar, but this time I can't place it (although I might if I hear it).

I can maybe help some this evening after work.
The riff is from "Poem for the People". The book is called Transcribed Scores Chicago Volume I. ISBN 978-0-7935-7064-5
Let me know what you come up with! I'm looking for the piano notes in that measure.
Thanks! Bernie
I think I have that book. I'll take a look this evening.

Is the problem that it doesn't sound right? You do realize that the top line is for Bb Tenor Sax and Bb Trumpet; however, the trombone is a C instrument, so they are 1 whole note apart.

To normalize the part in C, you'll need to bring the trumpet and sax notes down one whole step for it to sound right (to make everything in the same key on the computer).

Or is it a different problem?
That's what I was thinking too.
I tried that and it still doesn't sound right - maybe let me know what notes you see for piano and I'll try it again...
The very top notes I hear in the original(in C piano) are G Gflat G A Gflat. The notation after transposing in the score are F# D F# etc...
It seems the Notation is reflecting the (whatever it was) you scanned and posted as an image.
C#-A-C# is equal to F#-D-F# that you referenced once transposed.

Quote:
very top notes I hear in the original(in C piano) are G Gflat G A Gflat. The notation after transposing in the score are F# D F# etc...

Apparently the 'original' as you hear it doesn't match the score being used.

The transposing part seems correct. I listened to the mp3 snippet you sent me and I see how the notation may be deceiving because the accents can mislead you. Plus 'pad' type horns (and keys) add to the overall sound.

FWIW I can't hear the "G Gflat G A Gflat" sequence you referenced, in any key.
So can you tell me what notes you think are being played? That's all I'm really trying to get at...
I also did email Hal Leonard publishing to see if they can take a look at those measures.
Thanks! Bernie
If you transpose the trumpet parts down one whole step you'll have the right transcription. B-G-B C-A-C F#-F#

However I think the root accent notes you hear (that aren't in the transcription) are E-E-A-A-F#-F#
The accents being on
1, 2, 2and, 3and, 4, 5
What do you think the notes other than the root notes are?
I'm having no luck plinking on the piano trying to figure them out....
Thanks! Bernie
Bernie,
I am not familiar with the song and have only seen that little bit of score you shared and the 1 measure mp3 you sent, so I really don't know.
Looking at it maybe Em-Am-D6 (?)
This is the song...

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2m6RLS_0IUE[/video]
Thanks John .. it took about 4 minutes in to hear the odd time section he referenced.
Initially I saw a Hal Leonard notation posted and received about a 1 measure mp3 during the odd time stuff.

Still, I think the brass notation transcribed down one step would be pretty close.
Lots of other stuff going on too though.

/Album looks familiar, but this tune must not have captured me at the time.
In search of the lost chord(s)...
I think I found the notes! I looked at the guitar chords which I am familiar with and started playing around on the piano. Here is what I came up with..
C D G (first chord). D E A (second chord). B C# F# (third chord)
They second and third are the same voicings based on the first chord.
I know Chicago plays a lot of dissonant chords, so this seems to work. Not quite there yet but close....
If you have a piano plunk it out and see what you think!
Thanks as always, Bernie
On second thought (and listen) I'm not even close....however I did submit that page to Hal Leonard Co. And they are having editors look at it. I'll back with what I hear....
I've got the same score book, so definitely let us know what you come up with. I'm right now working on "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long".
Bet your horns sound great!!
Heard back from Hal Leonard music today. The notes are indeed wrong, but they said it won't be corrected until then next edition of the song book comes out. I asked if they could just let me know the correct notes and they said their editors are" too busy..."
Well, of course they are...

At least they confirmed that the transcription was wrong.
© PG Music Forums