PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Will pay for Horns Transcription - 01/05/17 09:43 PM
I have one measure of horns I am willing to pay to have someone transcribe to piano for me. Please contact me if you are interested.
Bernie
Posted By: Pipeline Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 05:08 AM
Try Matt

Attached picture Matt.gif
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 11:14 AM
His page will not accept PM's - says its full....
Posted By: rharv Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 01:19 PM
Sorry my notation skills have dwindled (been a long time; I used to write pages and pages).
I scribbled it out quick and took a phone pic, so not all neat and tidy.
This is how I hear it on youtube version of same album ..
Not sure why this image doesn't display like normal.

Hope it's close for you.

Chords would be Bm - Am/E - F#6/C#(no 3rd)

Attached File
58.jpg  (23 downloads)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 01:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Bernier
His page will not accept PM's - says its full....

Fixed. Show me what you have.
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 03:48 PM
Thanks Rharv!
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 03:50 PM
I sent you an MP3 via the email on your web site. Rharv's notes are close, but I don't think we're there yet...
Thanks -Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/08/17 03:59 PM
Try voicing the described chords with it.
I notated the horns/bass. I think the chords describe what else is going on elsewhere. I didn't notate the '6' in the last chord, as I'm not sure which instrument is playing it, but in the section I hear (it repeats with slight variations) I *think* the keys may be implying it.

/youtube thru headphones
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 10:34 AM
Hi Matt - have you had a chance to listen to my horn section yet? Thanks -Bernie
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 01:59 PM
?? - don't have anything. I'll look again.

EDIT: nope, nothing in main or trash folders. I'll send you my good email address.

And it's lucky I saw my name in the other reply - I NEVER look in this forum; don't use PT. With the same query in several forums, I don't know how you make sense of the conversation...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 07:53 PM
Try this.

http://mattfinley.com/promos/Chicago.pdf
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 08:30 PM
thanks Matt! I have not tried all the notes yet, but interestingly, i listened to the original at half speed and came up with the same C# F# you did at the end. That was the missing part! If the other notes line up, Ill let you know. Then please send me an invoice!
Bernie
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 08:42 PM
Hi Rharv - I received a response from Matt and though I have not gone through the notes thoroughly it looks like he found it.
Interestingly, I listened to the original at half speed and the notes just jumped out at me. I came up with b/g, c/a, and c#/f#. It was the c#/f# that sealed the deal.
I'll keep you posted!
Bernie
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 08:56 PM
The most important aspect of the last two notes is the D Natural in the bass. That will make some nice tension with the C# in the trombone (and I think the sax).
Posted By: rharv Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/11/17 09:59 PM
Comparing the 2, Matt and I are a lot alike on the top 2 staffs of his PDF. The first triplet we differ on a couple notes but otherwise pretty similar.

His bottom staff (3rd) looks 1/2 step off from mine for not just the last note but all notes.
I'll have to listen again just for my sake.

So Bernier, are you good yet?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/12/17 01:44 AM
I took a little liberty with the sax line at the beginning. There are some ghost notes played there - could be anything. The bass line I tried works when played back, but I'm working with a horrible YouTube audio, so who knows? Bass is always nebulous, pitch-wise. But I think my parts work.

This one is a bit more straightforward, plus the ninth in the sax on the last two notes. This is closer to how I might have written it. http://mattfinley.com/promos/Chicago2.pdf
Posted By: Bernier Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/12/17 10:44 AM
Yes, I am good and thanks so much! I've been struggling with this bar for almost six months!
Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/12/17 11:01 PM
Matt
yeah youtube does make things a little nebulous. I struggled with it a bit.
Good news is that Bernier seems good to go now.
Posted By: jford Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/13/17 02:20 PM
By the way, on New Years' Day, CNN did a pretty good 2-hour documentary on Chicago. Highlighted the good years, the not so good years, and the longevity of the band.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/21/17 10:42 PM
So where are you with this project? I gave you the notes. You said your song still doesn't sound right, so please post the file from RealBand and we'll see why. Horn voicing is very different from just a keyboard playing the same notes.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re:Try Matt for Horns Transcription - 01/24/17 09:46 PM
OK, I received and loaded the .SEQ file. I'm not experienced with RealBand. It looks like your horns on track 9 have the upper two voices OK but the trombone part is not right. The chords are also not correct - look at the bass line in the bottom stave I gave you. The root moves from C to F to D on that horn pattern. Without those roots, you have no hope of getting the correct sound.
© PG Music Forums