PG Music Home
Posted By: McKnigs App For Generating Wav Files From SEQ files? - 07/26/17 04:50 PM

I would think this had been asked to death but I haven't seen it in my searches.

I used PTPA as a multitrack audio recorder for several years. These days I'm using a different DAW. At one point I decommissioned a desktop that I'd used as a recorder, and as part of that process I used Power Tracks to render wav files for all the tracks. I've since come across more SEQ files that I'd like to get the individual tracks out of, but I no longer have Power Tracks installed on any computer.

Short of finding an old install CD and trying to install it on Win 10, or downloading an evaluation version, installing it, and rendering, is there a program out there that I can use to convert a SEQ file to individual wav files?
Quote:
Short of finding an old install CD and trying to install it on Win 10, or downloading an evaluation version, installing it, and rendering, is there a program out there that I can use to convert a SEQ file to individual wav files?

Not that I'm aware of. Which version of PTPA do you have? Unless it's a really old version (and even with older versions), there is no reason you can't just install it to your Windows 10 computer to do what you want. PTPA doesn't write to the registry, so no issues there. You may have issues if any of your tracks need effects or certain MIDI synths and those aren't installed, but for the raw data on the tracks, you ought to be able to do it.

I think I got as far as version 7 or so. I'm not sure where the install CD would be. I know if I could find an install CD I could install PTPA and render each track. I just thought someone along the line might have invented a groovy program where I could bring up a command line and say:

groovyprogram mysong.seq

...and it would find the SEQ file, identify the individual tracks, and render them in a batch.
Another idea; if you bought PT previously, try logging into your account in the main site (not the forum)
Go to http://www.PGMusic.com/
and click Log In .. it's at the top, though pretty small font

If you can log in there and click My Account you may have a download link available under your purchases or orders.

Otherwise I'd contact support (using links at top of this page), explain your situation, and if they have any record of you having PowerTracks, they'll likely supply the link to re-install it and you would be able to render.
Version 7 was pretty early though. I don't think they even added audio until PT5, so PT7 is pretty dated.

Like John, I know of no other program that could identify the audio tracks and render them from PT SEQ files
Another (possibly last) option is to see if someone who has PT would render them for you.
Version 7 isn't going to work, unfortunately. PTPA didn't switch from 16-bit to 32-bit until version 8. So it won't install at all into a 64-bit environment. If you had an old 32-bit Windows XP installation, you might get it to work.

While a fair amount of work, short of finding a friend with a copy, if you happen to have an old copy of Windows 98 or Windows XP, you could always create a virtual machine under Windows 10 (VMWare costs $$$, but you can get Oracle VirtualBox for free), install the older OS, then install PTPA inside that virtual machine, then load your SEQ files and extract away. Not for everyone, but I certainly would try that route to see if it worked. Just a thought.
Why not post the Ver 7 SEQs to DropBox, Box or one of the other online storage spots then post a link to the files.

Perhaps someone that has PowerTracks Pro or RealBand can try importing the files to determine IF the Ver 7 SEQ files can be imported into current programs.
I do have a friend who has the IT chops to create virtual machines running older versions of Windows. That would require me to go to his house to do the exporting, which might not be feasible.

I didn't know it was possible to create a virtual machine under Win 10. If I created an XP machine would I need to come up with a license for XP?

Does PTPA have a demo version that I could DL free, install on a Win 10 machine, and use for a couple weeks to do the exporting? If so, would it be sufficiently backwards-compatible to open older SEQ files?
PTPA does not have a demo version.

Yes, you would need a license for XP to install it.

New versions of PTPA should be able to open the old SEQ files. I've opened old SEQ files in newer versions many times (I started using PTPA with version 5). You may not have the correct port assignments because it's a different computer, but all the pertinent MIDI and audio data should still be there. Another option is to just get a newer version of PTPA. Since you previously owned version 7, you should be able to get the "upgrade from any version of PTPA" to get PTPA 2017 (which will run fine on Windows 10) for $29. Something to consider, eh? Check it out here.
Originally Posted By: jford
PTPA does not have a demo version.

Yes, you would need a license for XP to install it.

New versions of PTPA should be able to open the old SEQ files. I've opened old SEQ files in newer versions many times (I started using PTPA with version 5). You may not have the correct port assignments because it's a different computer, but all the pertinent MIDI and audio data should still be there. Another option is to just get a newer version of PTPA. Since you previously owned version 7, you should be able to get the "upgrade from any version of PTPA" to get PTPA 2017 (which will run fine on Windows 10) for $29. Something to consider, eh? Check it out here.

Thanks for all the information. smile
© PG Music Forums