PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Muddy Playback - 10/09/17 07:27 PM
I have a old Pioneer SX8 receiver and Infinity Studio monitor speakers. Occasionally I try to play back my PT recordings through this gear. I use the audio out on my laptop and the aux audio in on the receiver. All of the playback is muddy and distorted. Any suggestions on how to improve the chain?
Thanks - Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Muddy Playback - 10/09/17 08:21 PM
Have you tried boosting or lowering the volume on the notebook? (and adjusting the amp to suit)

Possibly a bad cord from laptop to amp, or even a mismatch on the expected input of the amp (notebook can't feed it).
Does the notebook have a Line Out, or just a headphone out?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Muddy Playback - 10/16/17 09:57 AM
Hey Rharv -thanks for the input! Actually, my line out comes from the headphone jack in my Toneport UX1 amp modeler. If I plug the phones in the laptop, I don't hear any of the effects in PT.
Do you think maybe the out signal is too weak? Maybe I need som sort of preamp!
Thanks - Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Muddy Playback - 10/17/17 08:58 PM
In your first post you said "I use the audio out on my laptop and the aux audio in on the receiver."
In your more recent post you said "Actually, my line out comes from the headphone jack in my Toneport UX1 amp modeler. If I plug the phones in the laptop, I don't hear any of the effects in PT"

I'm confused.
If you plug the phones into the laptop you hear a dry PT signal?? But no distortion?
And the signal from the UX1 it is distorted but with effects?

Please clarify the issue.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Muddy Playback - 10/18/17 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply!
My first post was incorrect.
If I plug a patch cord into my laptop and out to my external amp I get nothing at all.
I get my audio by listening with headphones plugged into my Toneport UX 1. That is also my audio input in Power Tracks. When I run a cord from the headphone jack in the Toneport to the external amp is when I get all the muddyness.
Thanks for helping!
Bernie
© PG Music Forums