PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier New PC - 10/27/17 04:53 PM
Hi all - I am looking at getting a new desktop only to be used for music!
The one I am looking at has both a solid state hard drive and a regular hard drive.

My question is, should I load everything on to the solid state drive, or just the program files and plug ins, and put my seq files on the regular hard drive? What would give the best performance?
Advice appreciated!
Bernie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: New PC - 10/27/17 09:54 PM
I would install the minimal possible to the solid state primary drive (SSD). The primary drive will clutter up over time anyhow.
Posted By: edshaw Re: New PC - 10/28/17 10:50 AM
Here is an informative article.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/tips-and-solutions/save-your-music-basics-hard-drives-audio

1) The Operating Disc is a subject of its own. It runs the programs. As Jim said, the SSD has become most popular. When I bought mine, the hybrid was the choice. 7200 rpm is standard.
2) The Write Disc stores the data. Have a look at that Glyph External SSD 4T in the article. Externals have been popular with the top producers for a long time.
3) Read about a separate, fast, disc for Sample Libraries. BiaB users will recognize immediately that sample libraries just keep growing.
4) Finally, a backup disc. This could be a plug and play from Staples, really.

Become familiar with RAID vs SATA. Make sure you have plenty of connections.
I'd consult with one of the reputable custom builders such as Puget Sound for specs. (Look into a 4-core 8-thread processor. They balance the work load.)
© PG Music Forums