PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Audio I/O - 01/02/18 10:30 AM
I did a little bit of reading and realized my Line 6 Toneport UX1 is actually an amp modeler and an audio input device that takes the place of the sound card in my PC. That being said, the Toneport has 2 1/4" jacks that are labeled "analog out". I am wondering if I should be using that signal out to my powered amp that has studio monitor speakers attached to it. At present I have my amp and monitors connected to the headphone jack on my PC.
Any advice is appreciated!
Bernie
Posted By: Paj Re: Audio I/O - 01/02/18 01:22 PM
Try it.

I'm in my third decade of using amp modelers and if it's one thing I've learned it's that the live sound you get is REALLY dependent upon the matchup of modeler and power amp I/O more than anything else. You can anticipate speaker/cab responses but the I/O matchup almost comes down to serendipity. Something like an ART TubeMP (or better, naturally) between the modeler and power amp inputs can go a long way to leveling the I/O playing field.

I don't have a TonePort, and I haven't used Line6 for the better part of a decade (with the exception of one recent gig while my other modelers were being serviced). Here's what I do recall:
(1) I don't recall the TonePort as having I/O level switches (+4/-10dB) so that might be an immediate issue.
(2) Check your TonePort's software output setting. Oddly enough, you'll probably want to start out with Direct settings (turn the cab modeling off). Add the cabs as needed.
(3) If the TonePort has the mic option, start with the distance at zero for the most defined sound. If you can't seem to get all the clarity you want and/or get rid of all the reverb you want, the mic distance is probably the culprit.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio I/O - 01/02/18 02:00 PM
My setup is not used for live playing - home studio only.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio I/O - 01/04/18 10:28 AM
Line input from Juno to Toneport - no signal.
Analog out from Toneport to amp/speakers works great.
Any suggestions on what/how to check in the signal chain for the no signal?
Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio I/O - 01/05/18 08:43 PM
Is there a switch for the input? Maybe it is expecting the guitar (or XLR even) as input and not the line in (?)
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio I/O - 01/06/18 10:18 AM
Got it fixed. It was how I set up the inputs in the Pod Farm software. Working beautifully now!
© PG Music Forums