PG Music Home
Posted By: JackBeusch Force A-Section for Realstyle-Guitar - 07/03/10 06:50 AM
Hi
I am new with BIAB and have the following problem:
I don't like the B-part of the selected Guitar-Realstyle. How can I force the guitar to stay with the A-style while the band is going to the B-Section?
Jack
Posted By: Mac Re: Force A-Section for Realstyle-Guitar - 07/04/10 03:01 PM
Well, you could change all the Part Markers to the A style, then generate just the Guitar part and FREEZE it.

Now go back and put the A and B part markers where you want them and generate the other parts, they should respond to the part markers again while the Frozen track stays put.

Be advised that there is also a Global setting (Prefs ->Arrange, I think, without checking) that may have to be turned off if you don't have the song laid out as One Long Chorus. You don't want the "Play middle choruses in B substyle) to override that manually selected "All A's" in the middle choruses when generating your guitar part.

There are other ways, for example, if you are using a particular Style file that happens to have all the parts in it, you could Edit the Style such that the guitar has only the A patterns played by inserting all the A patterns into the B pattern blocks as well, then save that style under a new name so you don't overwrite and lose the original. I'd only do it this way if it was necessary to use that style in live performance all the time or something, though. It could get tricky.

And - My ways may not be the only or the easiest ways. Someone else may come along with another way that is more elegant.

--Mac
Posted By: infotechproximity infotech - 07/06/10 11:46 AM
Sometimes pigeonholing a CD as electronic music really isn't helpful. This album certainly uses electronics in abundance as we have two dedicated keyboard players but we also have two guitarists. Guitar is certainly the main feature on the opener 'Winding Road' where the most lovely acoustic guitar melody is played with feeling over tranquil pads. This is excellent stuff, with real style, getting the album off to a first rate start. Then we get onto the second track 'Free Flying Spirits'
Posted By: JackBeusch Re: Force A-Section for Realstyle-Guitar - 07/07/10 06:42 AM
Hi Mac
Thanks for ansering me...
I tried out both of your suggestions. The freezing solution works well, with the style editing solution I have some problems. This works with midi-style, but not with realstyle. Is there a separate editor for realstyles (and also realdrums?).
By the way: is there a master-volume somewhere to adjust the different sound-levels of songs?
Jack
Posted By: Mac Re: Force A-Section for Realstyle-Guitar - 07/07/10 11:42 AM
Hi Jack,

*If using Realtracks that are not a part of a style, they won't appear in the style chosen.

*Styles with Realtracks, you can edit the Realtrack choices - but they are not in the same place as the MIDI patterns. Check the FAQs page and the help files, also the tutorials on Style editing. I've yet to try editing a Realtrack style, so can't give you a step by step on that one, sorry.

*The overall Volumes can also be adjusted to a certain degree in the Style Editor. But the Realtrack chosen may need to be massaged elsewhere, such as in the "regular" BiaB volume spinner blocks or perhaps the Global Realtrack Volume adjust.

***If the Freezing works well, I'd likely accept that as my methodology. Because , if it works, I don't fix it...***

--Mac
Posted By: JackBeusch Re: Force A-Section for Realstyle-Guitar - 07/09/10 09:02 AM
Hi Mac
Thanks for the good tips. As I am new to BIAB it is a lot of new things for the moment. I will check them all out.
By the way, I'm playing 4 BIAB-Songs today in front of a audience... I hope it will work out well.
cu
Jack
Posted By: John Conley Re: Force A-Section for Realstyle-Guitar - 07/09/10 11:04 AM
As to more elegant solutions I do the same as Mac but hold up my pinkie finger the way I do taking tea from a proper china cup. That elevated finger, while freezing the section, can be video taped and it looks elegant.

There, I've said it again....
© PG Music Forums