PG Music Home
Posted By: JPSoper entering a "2" chord without the major third - 08/10/10 04:55 PM
Hi, I'm posting here because this seems like it's an OS-version non-specific question.

I am trying to enter an A2 chord in a song, but it should have a neutral feel - in other words, I don't want the 3rd played. Is this available? I'm imagining it played on a guitar, like a simple powerchord with the octave raised a M2 to a M9 interval (no, I don't want a M9 chord). So, ideally, it would be R-5-M9...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

I'd move this post/question to the BIAB forum as under this heading users usually "offer" tips and/or short cuts. And since you are looking for advise I think you will get a better response there.

Also welcome aboard!
Quote:

Hi, I'm posting here because this seems like it's an OS-version non-specific question.

Interesting reasoning.
Hi Jeff,

If I read your post correctly, you want the chord A-B-E. The only way that I can think of doing this is to use Esus/A. Esus is E-A-B and over an A bass would mean that you have the chords you want.

Should you be seeking to have A-E-B, with the A and B an octave apart rather than a second apart, the above chord may or may not work. Such a chord would probably also be style dependent. BIAB does not allow complete control over chord voicing.

Regards,
Noel
I think the only way to get no third in BIAB is to use the X5 chord type, the power chord. Even then, it might not work in some styles. If it does work, you get E, B with E5, and therefore theoretically could get A, E, B with E5/A

Since I do not use power chords in Brazilian jazz, I didn't try it because I don't have a good sense of that sound. You should experiment with this, though, Jeff.
© PG Music Forums