PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv #1 tip- consolidate and defrag - 08/15/07 08:18 PM
One of the best things you can do to keep your sequence files working smoothly is to consolidate the tracks and defrag the hard drive often.
Recording audio and doing edits causes small pieces of data to be left all over the hard drive. By hilighting a track from start to finish and using the 'Track- consolidate audio region' command you help your system a great deal in how it is working 'behind the scenes'. These results will not be shown in the CPU meter, etc, but they will give you more tracks with less problems.
Every once in a while hilight all the tracks for a sequence file, and consolidate them. Then save it.
The next time you run that file the drive will be doing a lot less jumping around to keep up.
Same thing with defragging the hard drive thru Windows. It helps the drive operate with less effort.
Posted By: Ed Palamar Re: #1 tip- consolidate and defrag - 09/08/07 07:33 PM
I'd like to agree with you, but while defraging my second 'D:' drive last time, it stopped, told me it had errors, scandisk said the drive was not formatted (ABSURD), was not there (where did it go?), or a disk utility had locked it. It then appeared as a removable disk drive in windows explorer with all data unaccessible. I took it to the guys who sold me the computer, their software showed that the drive was showing only about half the data (I use the capacity limiting jumper to clear the older BIOS) and I don't much feel like sending the hard drive out in the mail. But I do think defragging is really cool, when it works.
rhav I just wanted to say thanks for both efficient use of plugins & consolidate and defrag... Both of these tips returned positive results in the studio so I just had to drop in a word of thanks.

Shawn
LFCM
© PG Music Forums