PG Music Home
Posted By: John_H Drum substyles or something like that?? - 12/21/10 04:01 AM
Im very new to BIAB so Im sure this is probably an extremely noob question but here goes.

If I pick say a country style song, and I want the verses to play with rimshot and highhat, first 2 chorus's to use snare and highhat, but the for the last chorus I wanted to use a ride with the snare, do I have to setup a totally new style for that? I cant seem to get a substyle to use the same other parts, but a different set substyle of drums. I hope thats understandable, my writing isnt the best so please forgive me. Thanks for any help.

By the way, Im talking about Real Drums. Just figured that might come up since I didnt mention it.
Posted By: Rachael Re: Drum substyles or something like that?? - 12/21/10 01:49 PM
The easiest way to handle this is with Bar Settings (F5). On the bar to change drum kits, press the F5 key. You will see a RealDrums button that will bring up the RD dialog. Use the F5 anywhere you like throughout the song. As long as the drum kit you choose has those options (snare/highhat and snare/ride), it will work.

Depending on which multistyle chosen, one of those may work for you too. You just have to audition them and see.

If you will be doing this in a lot of songs, creating your own multistyle is probably the way to go. I don't recommend trying this at this point but keep it in mind if you are using the same drum combinations in a lot of songs.

Also, put questions like this on the BIAB forum. It will get more attention there.

R
Posted By: John_H Re: Drum substyles or something like that?? - 12/21/10 10:13 PM
I wrestled with where to post this so my noobness was apparent right from the start.

Thanks for the info. I had tried that, and just tried it again. Seems like its exactly what Im wanting to do, but no matter what I do when I change the rhythm there it stays the same as before. I can get tempo changes to work and so forth, but changing substyles or even the whole drum kit doesnt seem to do anything.
Posted By: John_H Re: Drum substyles or something like that?? - 12/21/10 10:27 PM
Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled BIAB and it seems to be working now. Seems like I might have done something wrong in the initial install that wasnt allowing that to work. Thanks again for all of the help.
Have you clicked on the chord grid and changed part markers from blue to green etc? That changes the substyle and generates a fill.
© PG Music Forums