PG Music Home
Posted By: Bruce B Quarter note triplets - 03/13/11 06:27 AM
Can anyone please tell me how to get BIAB/RealBand to play quarter note triplets? I can get it to do fairly close to what I want in most ways, and I'm sure I'm not the only musician who uses them I’ve searched the manual and the forums and am frankly surprised it hasn’t come up before. I'm sure there is a way, as if there isn't it's a glaring omission.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Quarter note triplets - 03/13/11 10:45 AM
Hi Bruce,

This has been discussed many times before in the Band In A Box (Windows) forum.

If you want 1/4 note triplets to play properly, the best way that I have found to do it is via the Piano Roll editor. Note entry via this window has "Snap" and "Dur(ation)" controls that, when working in tandem, give perfect triplets. (Whether these notes display properly on the lead sheet, though, is another thing and depends on other settings. Even if they don't look correct on screen in Editable Notation mode, they will play correctly when set in the Piano Roll mode.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: allis Re: Quarter note triplets - 03/13/11 05:09 PM
Are you also trying the Editable Notation mode? The lines there represent an eighth-note triplet duration when set for Triplets. Two lines (unsurprisingly) fetch a quarter triplet. In that mode, triplets snap onto the time line automatically without setting anything, and durations self-adjust. You see the final appearance of notation without shifting views.

It's important to remember that BiaB will simply refuse to write triplets in some circumstances, due to ancient, ignored bugs. For example, the program utterly botches triplets spanning the second and third beats of a 4-4 bar. It won't hear of that and goes all brain-damaged. Don't be shocked.
Posted By: Bruce B Re: Quarter note triplets - 03/21/11 10:39 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry not to be clear, I meant triplets in the BAND. Inmho triplets should be available in the Chord Settings window. I was also a little miffed that I can't get eighth notes (obviously in slow tunes)! I've been making tracks of Steve Tyrell arrangements, and these 2 points have caused some compromise. Not to take anything away from a great and unique program that gets me pretty darn close to where I want to be, I just think these are obvious enhancements that could make BIAB any arrangers dream for rhythm section mock-ups.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Quarter note triplets - 03/21/11 11:20 AM
Hi Bruce,

Sounds like this is better placed in the "Band In A Box Wishlist" rather than "Tips and Tricks".

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: String Bender Re: Quarter note triplets - 11/10/19 01:46 PM
@Noel96 You are a DAMN GENIUS!!!

Work great. Been trying to figure out a simple bass line and the last first note of the last triplet would not sound. But your suggestion FIXED IT!!!

Thanks!
© PG Music Forums