PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr adding MIDI parts if you aren't a musician - 08/20/11 01:50 PM
This tip assumes that you have some kind of MIDI controller , but you don't know how to play that instrument well enough to enter the part you want. It also assumes you are entering one note at a time, not chords
(I'm a guitar player who can't play keyboard, but I often want to enter MIDI parts on a keyboard)

In the case of a MIDI keyboard as input controller:

1) While your song plays in the background, tap out the notes on one or two keys, taking care to get the VELOCITY, TIMING and DURATION of the notes as close as possible. Don't worry about getting the pitch right at this point. (Using two keys helps to differentiate the notes, and it also helps you to get the timing close.)

2) go to piano roll view and drag the notes to the right pitch.

3) also in piano roll mode, you can adjust the timing of your notes if necessary

This can be done MUCH more easily than getting pitch, duration, velocity and timing all right at the same time if you aren't skilled at playing a keyboard. I find that if I can nail down the timing, duration and velocity this way, putting the notes at the right pitch is a cinch... but if I try to actually play the notes, I lose one or more of the other attributes, and much more editing is required to get those back.

If you need harmonies or full chords, let the MIDI harmonizer that comes with BIAB embellish the notes you already entered. Or, you can repeat this approach on another track.
Posted By: dx191 Re: adding MIDI parts if you aren't a musician - 11/29/11 08:02 PM
Antwort auf:

This tip assumes that you have some kind of MIDI controller , but you don't know how to play that instrument well enough to enter the part you want.

See video: https://www.youtube.com/user/xyz4469?feature=mhee#p/u/12/HSYfMieyzAo

This shows the same idea with a keyboard.
Thanks Pat and dx191.
Very useful especially for working on new tunes when you don't have your instrument of choice with you, only your computer.
Good job!!
Carkins
Quote:

Quote:

This tip assumes that you have some kind of MIDI controller , but you don't know how to play that instrument well enough to enter the part you want.

See video: https://www.youtube.com/user/xyz4469?feature=mhee#p/u/12/HSYfMieyzAo

This shows the same idea with a keyboard.

wow... that was an EXCELLENT video tutorial! I had no Idea I was plagiarizing somebody else's idea... but I'm glad the other person did such a good job of explaining the procedure! Thanks for posting!
Quote:

In the case of a MIDI keyboard as input controller:

1) While your song plays in the background, tap out the notes on one or two keys, taking care to get the VELOCITY, TIMING and DURATION of the notes as close as possible. Don't worry about getting the pitch right at this point. (Using two keys helps to differentiate the notes, and it also helps you to get the timing close.)

2) go to piano roll view and drag the notes to the right pitch.

3) also in piano roll mode, you can adjust the timing of your notes if necessary

Pat, Welcome to my world I’ve been doing this for years and after a fashion you will start learning the keyboard!
MarioD,
I agree your YouTube tutorial is good except when I go to Preferences|Transport in BIAB 2012, it is a VERY different pop-up and as if it was a completely different program.

Has it changed in 2012 or am I missing something?

TIA.
Dave
© PG Music Forums