PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Make your RDs pop - 12/08/14 05:37 PM
This is an excellent tutorial on how to make a drum loop sound a lot better: http://therecordingrevolution.com/2014/12/08/how-to-make-your-drum-loops-pop-video/?mc_cid=866c1384fb&mc_eid=84085a4630

This method could be used to put more pop in RDs and maybe some RTs.

I hope you find this helpful.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/09/14 10:38 AM
Way cool Mario! Can't wait to try that.

Edit -

Just tried it with a RD track. Really did make the track pop! An added benefit is that you can surgically cut low mids, and it cleans up the track(s) nicely.

Thanks Mario!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: sslechta Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/10/14 08:20 PM
Nice find Mario! Just watched the video and adding that to my folder of goodies.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/10/14 09:21 PM
Thanx guys!

You should sign up for The Recording Revolution newsletter:
http://therecordingrevolution.com/

He gives excellent advice on mixing and mastering. His philosophy is you don't need a lot of expensive plugins to get great sounding tracks. Thus far he has been spot on!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/10/14 10:00 PM
Will do. Watching some of his other videos now. Good resource.

Cool, didn't know I would also get some reading material downloads for signing up. More reading!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/11/14 01:40 PM
Watched a lot of his videos today, real good stuff in there. Watched his garage studio tour and low and behold, on his bookshelf was "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio".

It looks like in his videos he does simplify a lot of the stuff I read in that book. Can't thank you enough for this resource Mario!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/18/14 12:35 AM
So made a nice drum track in RB, actually it was one from a "COVER" song I like to do psssst don't tell Eddie he might think i'm weak! Just messin' Eddster!

Anyway back on topic. I dropped this little basic Nashville Ev track into Studio one, duplicated it three times so I had four of those dawgs! in the FX box I drop four presets, Airy overheads, Deep Kick, Rock Snare, and HH. one on each track, then mixed the levels to taste. Had them outputting thru a basic limiter, at about -06db peak. None of the tracks were even in the yellow, so no clipping happenin' here. I soloed each track and carefully listened to each.

I gotta say folks that trick is right on. To my tired old ears it sound like the drum track was miked and tracked in a pro studio. Each track brings the best out of the area it is aimed at. Now I am sure if I sat and really tweaked the effects I could dial it I n even better. But what live it breathed into a already fairly good sounding track. it just really came alive.

It does not matter which DAW you use, this is a great technique for drum loops, but especially RDs. I was going to track them in RB, but sadly I do not have all my VSTs linked to it, and Studio One, has some awesome native stuff.

Great find Mario, thanks
Posted By: sslechta Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/18/14 10:57 AM
Yeah, did some wonders for the LA Hard Rock Real Drums for me.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/27/14 06:39 PM
Top Find Mario!
Thanks for sharing
I've subscribed to the channel, thanks again
Trevor
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/27/14 06:53 PM
I used the technique with nice results on the RealDrums track used in the Fun With Loops exercise I posted in User Showcase. Thanks Mario.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Make your RDs pop - 12/27/14 07:56 PM
I'm glad that I was able to help. It always feels good when you can help someone.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make your RDs pop - 01/03/15 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm glad that I was able to help. It always feels good when you can help someone.

Could you loan me $50?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Make your RDs pop - 01/03/15 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Could you loan me $50?

The check is in the mail wink
Posted By: sslechta Re: Make your RDs pop - 01/03/15 01:08 PM
I would loan it to you 90 dB but I just dropped coin on the JumpStart tutorials on that website, really good stuff.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Make your RDs pop - 01/03/15 02:30 PM
Nice find, thanks for posting.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Make your RDs pop - 01/04/15 03:10 PM
90db does not need your money he's a rock star
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Make your RDs pop - 01/04/15 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Robh
90db does not need your money he's a rock star

Yeah, right. What are you smokin', man? grin
© PG Music Forums