PG Music Home
Posted By: cesevern2002 Fermata effect in RealBand is possible! - 04/05/15 11:36 PM
I was working on a song that required a fermata. The song changes between 3/4 and 4/4 time. I created the song in the "Print Music" (a FINALE family of software) with the fermata symbol. Then saved the file as a MID (midi) file. But after I opened RealBand and imported the file, when I played the file the pitch was not sustained. I learned that a fermata symbol is merely a graphic symbol. The duration of a note or rest marked by the fermata is arbitrary and controlled by the performer/conductor.

So, how did I get the desired audio effect into RealBand? I went back to Print Music and changed the time signature from 4/4 to 5/4 or 7/4 (for that measure only!) which allowed me to stretch the measure and add duration to the note and thus sustain the pitch. I then saved it again as a MID file and imported it into the RealBand, which recognized the duration and gave me the desired audio result. (I posted this in the "wish list" forum by mistake previously in December)
Great tip! Thanks for sharing
Very musical and smart way to change the duration. Thanks for sharing the tip.
Posted By: rharv Re: Fermata effect in RealBand is possible! - 04/07/15 07:53 PM
There's always a way to 'Get 'er Done'.
This one shows inventiveness and ingenuity .. always a good combination.
Thanks for sharing.

Another option may have been to slow the tempo for that section.
RB allows very defined Tempo settings.
© PG Music Forums