PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 Bar-based lyrics - 11/04/15 04:06 PM
... it's possible to use note-based lyrics in such a way that lyrics can be entered on a bar-by-bar basis. This will allow lyrics and chords to scroll in the Big Lyric Window.

Simply go to the Notation Window and place a note on beat 3 in each bar. Don't worry about the pitch of the note. Once entered, this note becomes the anchor for lyrics for that bar.

The reason I use a note on beat 3 is because lyrics are centre justified and beat 3 will fill the bar from the centre outwards. Below shows what I mean.

Once the lyrics are entered, it's possible to delete the note and the lyrics will remain. (Muting the melody would also stop the notes from sounding if you want to leave them in place. I favour leaving the notes in place because it makes editing the text easier, if needed.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Bar-based lyrics - 11/18/15 05:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this tip Noel!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bar-based lyrics - 11/19/15 02:09 AM
Jim,

It was a great idea of yours to put here. You're right. It does make it easier to find.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Bar-based lyrics - 12/01/15 02:32 PM
awesome tip, Noel! Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bar-based lyrics - 12/02/15 03:57 PM
Hey Pat,

This could still be useful, I guess.

In BIAB 2016, though, there's no need to enter a note. All a user has to do is to...

1) Go to Notation Mode

2) Click on the horizontal centre of the bar

3) Press CTRL+L (to open lyric entry) and type lyrics for that bar

It's also possible to simply type a lyric for a beat using 1 - 3 above.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Bar-based lyrics - 12/05/15 08:39 PM
Regarding the post immediately above... here's a little more detail...

= = = = = = = =

2016 does offer a new way of entering lyrics that might be useful. These show up on the Leadsheet.

For bar-based lyrics...

1. The playback cursor that I've called #1 on the image below travels along a region that lies directly above the stave. Click on this region so that the cursor is placed in the centre of a bar. (On the image below, I've placed it on the centre of bar 2).

2. Click on the "L" I've numbered as #2 on the image above.

3. Now enter some lyrics in the lyric box and press Enter. These lyrics will be centred in the selected bar since lyric entry is centre justified.

4. If you want lyrics over a couple of bars, simply place the cursor labelled #1 in the first image on the bar line between two bars and enter two bars worth of lyrics. See example below.

Wherever the cursor is placed and lyrics are entered, these lyrics will appear in Notation View and on the Leadsheet. Lyrics for single beats or parts of beats can also be entered this way. It's very powerful.

In a sense, this form of entry is a shortcut way of using the Lyric Event Editor.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bar-based lyrics - 01/04/16 03:23 AM
Thanks, Noel. I've had a terrible time trying to enter lyrics in previous versions (I now have BIAB 2016 ... WooHoo!). Gonna give it try tomorrow. Thanks again!

Alan
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Bar-based lyrics - 02/05/16 11:00 AM
Nice tip!

This is SO much better than what I've been doing. I've been using a sharpie erasable marker right on my screen. In all honesty, my monitor looks pretty bad now. I've grabbed a permanent marker on more than one occasion. I keep telling myself, "Well you won't do that an 8th time!"

I'm going to try your way smile Thanks!

For the record, "white out" doesn't help as much as you might think!
© PG Music Forums