PG Music Home
Posted By: silvertones For the Country Players - 08/03/09 12:27 PM
or anyone else that enjoys this type of production.
Playing country and being a Bass player I very much want the kick drum to strike the same time I play a note. Some exceptions of course.
I absolutely love the RDs but they don't do this. My solution was to create styles in BIAB that only include Kick Drum that matched matched my various playing. Example: on a slow 4/4 ballad I always play a 1-5 bass line. I play it on the xo oo xo oo during the verse and on the xo ox xo oo for the chorus. In RB I add a MIDI track using this style using. I have a nice Kick Drum font that matches. Using parametric EQ on the RD track I can cut the kick way back. When blended back with the rest of the instruments it makes a world of difference to me.
Posted By: toucher Re: For the Country Players - 08/03/09 02:10 PM
Interesting technique John.......

Just wondering what you do when playing with a live band and the drummer stinks?

I play with so many different people at various times, I guess I've just learned to adapt my playing style to the situation at the time. I used to try to drive the groove which I still do to some extent, but with a really dull drummer it sometimes just adds to the confusion.

Now, if I can't get the drummer to line up with the beat, I will adapt my playing to keep us on track, but try to not conflict with the drums. Our steel player had gotten used to what I do, and manages to overlook the unorthodox percussion.

When ever I'm working with a different steel player, its touch and go for awhile.

Just wondering how you deal with that scenario.

Rob
Posted By: silvertones Re: For the Country Players - 08/03/09 04:58 PM
I won't play in a band if the drummer won't conform. If it's a fill in gig I'll just grin and bare it.
Posted By: Mac Re: For the Country Players - 08/03/09 06:20 PM
I think you'd get fired pretty quick if you grin and bare it.

Well, maybe not in California...

Better off to grin and bear it, Knowmean? :-)

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: For the Country Players - 08/03/09 07:03 PM
Mac
This is why my wife kicks my butt everyday at Scrabble.
Posted By: WienSam Re: For the Country Players - 08/03/09 09:02 PM
Consider yourself lucky to have a wife, John. I don't. Then again...
Posted By: toucher Re: For the Country Players - 08/15/09 04:59 PM
I think you'd get fired pretty quick if you grin and bare it.

Well, maybe not in California...

Better off to grin and bear it, Knowmean? :-)

--Mac

Depends on what part of calif.............:)
Posted By: Mac Re: For the Country Players - 08/16/09 12:24 AM
True, dat.
Posted By: bosco Re: For the Country Players - 08/19/09 03:43 PM
I too have spent a many nites or days depending on the gig grining baring it..waiting for the drummer and base player to find there mutual pocket, a lot of times it never happens and makes a 45 minute set seem like 2 weeks and you have 4 more sets to go...time for a beer or two. On the other hand, it is bliss to sit in with players who from hit time to closing everyone is in the pocket and you dont want to stop playing..With that said..I/we players that are not having fun talk or at least try to talk to the drummer and or base player to give ideas..sutle hints..etc. Sometimes it helps them along..sometimes not..worth the try tho. Jerry
Posted By: silvertones Re: For the Country Players - 08/19/09 04:25 PM
I've just finished near 150 tunes adding in the Kick. I have serious mouse elbow!
I'm not so suttle. I fixed one drummer but he ended up quitting about 3 months latter. i was playing keyboard in a Country Band and also doing Bass with the left hand. Drummer wouldn't cooperate with me. During the week I took my Yamaha drum machine and programmed a drum kit to be all kick drums and set it to the same MIDI channel as the bass. Everytime I played a left hand bass note the kick drum fired. Sounded great. I play very simple bass lines. No solos no fancy notes. Standard walk ups is all so it works.
Posted By: bosco Re: For the Country Players - 08/19/09 04:53 PM
Hi John, I have worked jobs where it was just me (fiddle & guitar) with keyboard player playing left hand base or kick pedals. This was in Florida back in the late seventy early 80's played happy hour it was nice just the two of us and we played very well together. I sometimes miss the lesser the players the better..thought about trying it here in my town but not too sure if theres a market for western swing/standards and stuff...cant hurt to try. Hope the elbow gets better. Jerry
Posted By: Nancy08 Re: For the Country Players - 09/29/09 03:35 AM
Hi guys,
I just signed here.
I'm just interested with your tips and tricks.

Hopefully, I'm welcome in this forum.

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
Posted By: WienSam Re: For the Country Players - 09/29/09 10:51 AM
You are very welcome, Nancy. Hopefully, we will hear something of yours?
Posted By: silvertones Re: For the Country Players - 09/29/09 10:54 AM
Hello Nancy,
Everyone is welcome here for sure. What exit are you from?
Posted By: Russell DeMussel Re: For the Country Players - 09/29/09 11:31 AM
Hi Nancy. Welcome aboard the best forum on planet earth. That said, if you're not shy about your living area, in your profile you can write in your location and other info about you. You can even leave a URL where you might have a web site like I do.

On the RC-Groups forum I'm an active member of, there is a map in the profile. When someone signs in, and reads the posts, they can see how far away they are from other members. Since flying RC sometime requires travel it's great to have an idea of how far you'll have to travel to compete/fly with them. I wished this forum had that feature. Anyway, just a thought. Don't have to if it bothers you and no one will say anything about it.

Again, welcome aboard the best music forum on planet earth.
Posted By: Mac Re: For the Country Players - 09/29/09 12:56 PM
Quote:

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

Hi Nancy and welcome!

Your quote is so true, I had to put it up there again.

Joy is indeed a choice that we can make.

I have found that excercising joy starts as a discipline, blossoms into life worth living.

Don't let anybody steal your joy.

Like your style,

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: For the Country Players - 10/06/09 12:29 AM
Glad your here Nancy!
Posted By: Old Ed Re: For the Country Players - 11/04/09 08:08 PM
Quote from Mac

"I think you'd get fired pretty quick if you grin and bare it.

Well, maybe not in California..."

It's months later and I'm still laughing at that line
Posted By: GDaddy Re: For the Country Players - 11/07/09 11:21 PM
Nancy:
You'll never know how nice it's been...
till you can lose
those Basin Street Blues.

Nice to have you around....

Listen to Shirley Horn sing
Basin Street Blues...and to the
group that backs her on this
fine tune.

This is "the street"
Where the good folks always meet

Where the land of dreams....
You'll never know how nice it seems!

Glad to be....Yes, Sireee
Where welcome friends they all meet...
Where you can lose
YOUR Basin Street Blues...
Ohhhhhh Yeeaaaaahhhhh!!

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: For the Country Players - 11/28/09 03:59 PM
Quote:

or anyone else that enjoys this type of production.
Playing country and being a Bass player I very much want the kick drum to strike the same time I play a note. Some exceptions of course.
I absolutely love the RDs but they don't do this. My solution was to create styles in BIAB that only include Kick Drum that matched matched my various playing. Example: on a slow 4/4 ballad I always play a 1-5 bass line. I play it on the xo oo xo oo during the verse and on the xo ox xo oo for the chorus. In RB I add a MIDI track using this style using. I have a nice Kick Drum font that matches. Using parametric EQ on the RD track I can cut the kick way back. When blended back with the rest of the instruments it makes a world of difference to me.

great idea, and simple enough for a dummy like me to use! Thanks!
© PG Music Forums