PG Music Home
I made a short video in response to a post on the Wood-shedding forum. I noted that a few folks there were unaware of this feature, so I thought I'd share it with you Fine Folks of the Forums in case it comes of use :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R09Lf3bHjhQ&feature=youtu.be
Enjoyed the video and found it very useful and informative. I noticed a few things that may help make the process more useful for you and others.

If you notice when you are importing the audio track and the import window opens, The box with the beat/bar/ticks - the bar defaults to -1 to account for the lead in. If you change the bar to 1 rather than -1, it will help you align the first bar more accurately. In the ACW, when you mark the first bar, Rt click again and make that first bar change permanent and the ACW will realign the tracks.

Around the 9:45 mark when you are discussing placing the audio onto the melody track in order to take advantage of the Mute every 2nd loop (or whatever skipping sequence you choose) to play along without the audio playing and also take advantage of the box to check to advance to the next looping:

It wasn't clear to me regarding moving the audio from the Audio Track to the Melody Track in your explanation but this is accomplished from the Audio Button on the top toolbar by making the audio a Performance Track. When you do this, you will not hear any sound from the Melody Track until you generate the song. Once you generate, the Performance Track plays and you can hear the audio and then those Melody Loop features work.

I'd also be interested to know what screen capture program do you use to create your tutorials.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Enjoyed the video and found it very useful and informative. I noticed a few things that may help make the process more useful for you and others.
Quote:

Appreciate that Charlie, just trying to give back a little to this awesome community grin

[quote]If you notice when you are importing the audio track and the import window opens, The box with the beat/bar/ticks - the bar defaults to -1 to account for the lead in. If you change the bar to 1 rather than -1, it will help you align the first bar more accurately. In the ACW, when you mark the first bar, Rt click again and make that first bar change permanent and the ACW will realign the tracks.

Thanks for pointing that out Charlie, I'm actually aware of that feature. However, and as I mentioned in the video, I wanted to "trim out" the first few bars anyway, so the offset wasn't really an issue here.

Quote:
Around the 9:45 mark when you are discussing placing the audio onto the melody track in order to take advantage of the Mute every 2nd loop (or whatever skipping sequence you choose) to play along without the audio playing and also take advantage of the box to check to advance to the next looping

It wasn't clear to me regarding moving the audio from the Audio Track to the Melody Track in your explanation but this is accomplished from the Audio Button on the top toolbar by making the audio a Performance Track. When you do this, you will not hear any sound from the Melody Track until you generate the song. Once you generate, the Performance Track plays and you can hear the audio and then those Melody Loop features work.

So I'm aware of that functions as well, and I realized why I couldn't get it to work when I was recording the video; it was because I still had the style set to "disable" which I always do when importing, and re-enable it after generating the tempo map and chord sheet. Since I forgot to enable the style, the melody track was effectively muted. I intend to update the video to rectify that matter and then demonstrate how to mute every X bars during playback.

Quote:
I'd also be interested to know what screen capture program do you use to create your tutorials.

I used FlashBack Express Recorder by Blueberry Software. The free version works well enough, but it requires that you use Flashback player (included) to convert the file to a format you can upload to Youtube.
I really enjoy tutorial videos by forum members and almost always come away learning something new from watching. No exception with your video, I was unaware of the feature of hitting the 'L' key and a number to instantly start a loop from any bar for any number of bars. I discovered that when I was looking over the Loop Dialog window, which I'd never really spent any time studying before your video brought it to my attention.

I've had a few oddball ideas at times I'd like to share with our community as well but found the processes hard to explain but should be easier to demonstrate clearly with a video, thus my interest in your video recording source.

Thanks for your reply to my comments and I'm looking forward to your next tutorial.

Charlie
FYI, added an addendum here: https://youtu.be/h0aL4HI6_oM
© PG Music Forums