PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/23/22 02:16 AM
I have a thin, reedy, crackling, unpleasant voice and have been struggling to get it anywhere near usable in a mix.
Months ago I downloaded the JSFX Spectrum Matcher and finally, a couple of days ago, decided to install it & experiment.
It's a free VST, is a little CPU hungry but can be "frozen" when the level and quality of correction is as best can be managed/suits the user. This reduces the load massively.
It's best used as 1st in the FX chain as well as on a voice before tuning or other pitch tweaking.
Here're some examples
1st is my voice as it is in the project post a LOT of tuning and processing. It's followed by a correction based on the vocal of a friend and finally in a mix with difference reference vocals used for the main vocal and each harmony part...
Spectrum Matcher sample
Now THIS is where it gets ver BIAB useful.
I usually struggle with the RealDrum stereo tracks - too much kick click or hihat or something. I used Spectrum matcher to tweak the drums on a current project. The BIAB ones were almost rigt but I found I had to do serious EQing and compresing to get closer to what I wanted. I found an isolated rum track for a song I knew was pretty much what I was after so downloaded it, made a profile and used it on the BIAB stereo track. The differences aren't night & day but are MUCH better in the mix:
REAL DRUM matched
The video below explains the what & how and, if followed, it's easy enough. The user saved presets, apart from the one done in that instance, won't appear until a fresh iteration of the plug is loaded.
Here's the writer's intro...

I've some more experimentation to do but can tell this will make my own vocals a bit better. I need to find the best reference vocals to do the job but suspect I'll be using this plug in quite a bit.
Oh, it works for guitar tone etc. etc.

Posted By: musocity Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/23/22 08:11 AM
The JS plugins work in Biab using ReaPlugs you just load reajs.dll
The ReaPlugs are installed to
C:\Program Files\VSTplugins64\ReaPlugs\
you can set it to use C:\Program Files\VSTplugins64\ReaPlugs\JS\Effects
or it will use your Reaper effects folder
AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Effects

see reajs_info.txt

Attached picture BB23-Spectrum-Matcher.png
Posted By: rayc Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 05:14 AM
Originally Posted By: musocity
The JS plugins work in Biab using ReaPlugs you just load reajs.dll

That's good but I'd have to ask: Why would I do it in BIAB when I can do it in Reaper?
I know some people see BIAB, more & more, as a decent DAW but I'm not one of them.
It's brilliant at what it does best though.
Posted By: musocity Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 08:44 AM
I would use Reaper for sure but some users are frightened of the unknown and want to stay safely in Biab.
Posted By: biab-user Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 10:06 AM
I do use Reaper, it's a great DAW but I can understand that all of that power to fiddle with can be intimidating to some people.

Regarding spectral matching, I use the Meldaproduction MFreeform Equaliser for getting close to another guitar tone, it does a good job. I also use it to easily and quickly create Impulse Response (IR) from the EQ state to be used in my Line 6 Helix and to make my headphone EQ flatter, more suitable for studio environment while mixing in Reaper.

Although this plugin is not free, it is on sale at the moment. I thought I'd make you aware of it. Here is a YouTube video. Watch to the end or skip past the middle section for more relevant content.

https://youtu.be/4zK7AS5muAg
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 03:11 PM
I looked at Reaper but my choice is Studio One.

...Deb
Posted By: biab-user Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 04:01 PM
Over the years, I tried cubase and cakewalk and the PC would crash on a regular bases, maybe to do with the interface I was using or maybe due to something else. Then I got to try Reaper and never looked back. The thing I like about it is how stable it is!

Once a month I do the sound for my local big band and use Reaper live for reamping and at the same time to record 18 individual tracks, so far without failing. I have never used studio one, at the end, it doesn't matter what you use as long it is the right one for you and meets your needs.
Posted By: rayc Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 07:34 PM
Ah, there we go. I thought I posted about JS FX Spectrum Matcher but now it's about DAWs of choice.
Posted By: rayc Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: musocity
I would use Reaper for sure but some users are frightened of the unknown and want to stay safely in Biab.

Fair enough, helping those in need.
Posted By: rayc Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: biab-user
I do use Reaper, it's a great DAW but I can understand that all of that power to fiddle with can be intimidating to some people.
Regarding spectral matching, I use the Meldaproduction MFreeform Equaliser for getting close to another guitar tone, it does a good job. I also use it to easily and quickly create Impulse Response (IR) from the EQ state to be used in my Line 6 Helix and to make my headphone EQ flatter, more suitable for studio environment while mixing in Reaper.
Although this plugin is not free, it is on sale at the moment. I thought I'd make you aware of it. Here is a YouTube video. Watch to the end or skip past the middle section for more relevant content.
https://youtu.be/4zK7AS5muAg

That's a very powerful EQ with LOTS of rarely used functions. I can see/imagine how you would use this to approximate the EQ of something else but, for me, that'd require a lot of back n forth between the reference etc. There's also some serious maths behind the function in Spectrum Matcher as it's not just a complex EQ.
If what you're doing works for you then have at it - well done.
My couple of days with this free program/VST/plugin suggest that it's relatively easy, quick and effective so long as the reference source is decent quality BUT YMMV/YRMV etc.
Posted By: biab-user Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/24/22 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Ah, there we go. I thought I posted about JS FX Spectrum Matcher but now it's about DAWs of choice.
sorry... Point taken.

To the mods. Please delete my posts. Unless there is a way for me to do so. Thanks.
Posted By: rayc Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/25/22 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: biab-user
Originally Posted By: rayc
sorry... Point taken.
To the mods. Please delete my posts. Unless there is a way for me to do so. Thanks.

No, YOU were on topic with an alternative - it's related and valuable.
Posted By: biab-user Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/25/22 04:33 PM
Oh, good, I'm relieved.

I have to try the JS plugin at some point.
Posted By: rayc Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/26/22 01:13 AM
UPDATED
Posted By: Noel96 Re: JS SPECTRUM MATCHER in REAPER - 12/26/22 05:19 AM
Thanks, Ray. This is very useful information.
All the best,
--Noel
© PG Music Forums