PG Music Home
Posted By: critter Recording guitar in RB - 03/17/10 03:50 AM
Now that my technical problems are over, I need input for recording lead guitar parts in my songs. Any input would be helpful, most of my songs are southern rock types, gritty guitar, overdrive, sustain etc. Thanks
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/17/10 03:52 AM
What do you have to work with?

What do you play your guitar through?
Usually you find the line out of your guitar rig and run it to the line in of computer. Or you mic the cabinet.
Posted By: Mac Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/17/10 03:52 AM
What are you asking about specifically?

Effects?

--Mac
Posted By: critter Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/17/10 04:19 AM
I don't have an amp anymore, for a long time now everything goes through the board and you have earbuds for monitor. So should I just run the guitar through the guitar effects stomp boxes, then to the fast track pro and into RB? Also what about vocals same thing or just go direct to RB with a dry signal.
Posted By: Mac Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/17/10 11:52 AM
Going direct (DI or Direct Injection) with an electric guitar is possible, if you understand certain aspects of the situation:

*An Amplifier/Cabinet simulator software is very desirable here, as DI electric guitar by itself, even with a few Effects plugins added, doesn't sound like an electric guitar as you know it sounds. This is because the guitar amplifier and its speaker cabinet are part of the sound you want.

*Some folks prefer using software for this task, it is possible but sometimes you can hang up the machine if you try to use some of the softwares available in realtime, monitoring what they are doing while you are recording so that you can hear your guitar with the amplifier, cabinet and effects on it while you play. There is a RealTime Monitoring button in the RB Prefs section -- try it out with your chosen plugins to see if your machine and setup can handle this, it can be CPU intensive.

*I like to use *external* hardware device for my guitars when recording to PC, there are quite a few available today, these typically will have the amplifier and cabinet emulation plus a set of selectable effects built into them. No CPU strain, what you hear is what you get. Behrginer makes these at very affordable prices, there is the Digitech company with a host of footpedal units that can do this as well as Line6 companies famous stuff, and others. The websearch and the online music gear stores are a good place to scope out what's available as well as lurking audio recording forums and guitar player forums.

--Mac
Posted By: critter Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/18/10 03:21 AM
I will be using a Korg Pandora effects box, it has cabinet sims, and an assortment of effects, this it what I used when out on gigs. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/18/10 11:32 AM
I suggets as you described above for the guitar. Run it thru your FX box and then into computer via fastTrack.

I like to record the vocals dry. I have seen good takes ruined because the effects were recorded with the vocals and ended up not working well with the finished product.
Posted By: critter Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/18/10 06:51 PM
I'm glad you said dry on vocals. It's a lot easier to do retakes without singing it over and over. Thanks
Posted By: critter Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/19/10 04:32 AM
I was recording some lead guitar parts and RB posted a yellow box in the upper right hand corner that said my fingernail on my third finger needed to be trimmed, it caused a buzz.........just kidding, but RB picks up everything, even small, not even noticeable things I did..........Yikes!! It is very clear and sounds incredible, I think I need a manicure...........LOL
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/19/10 01:48 PM
The credit there should go to the FastTrack, and I am glad to hear it! Realband only records the digital info your interface sends it. If it is clear and sensitive, you get a better recording; but the A/D converion is where the rubber hits the road (so to speak). Same for any recording software. Once the DAW software comes into play the quality of the recording has pretty much already been determined by the inputs. By the time it gets to RB it is already digital.

Not much it can do to influence the original sound at that point.
Posted By: critter Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/22/10 06:50 AM
Isn't this something, I mean ten years ago, well you know what I mean. Thanks
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/22/10 07:31 AM
Quote:

Isn't this something, I mean ten years ago, well you know what I mean. Thanks

It really *IS* amazing!
Yes, we know what you mean. The rest of us are as enthused as you are.

All thanks go to PGMusic.
Posted By: critter Re: Recording guitar in RB - 03/23/10 05:22 AM
The worst part of digital compared to analog is it picks up every finger fart you make, I guess I don't play guitar as good as I thought for the last 40 years. Time for lessons again, must be $100.00 an hour these days, I think I better save the money for healthcare..........LOL
© PG Music Forums