PG Music Home
Posted By: mnich PCI or USB Audio Interface? - 09/24/10 06:01 PM
I bought a Tascam 100 USB interface that claimed zero latency in monitoring. Well in trying to lay down a vocal track in RealBand, I was hearing myself a millisec later. I returned the unit to vender and went with a PCI card, the M-Audio 2496. It is working, but I have crashed a couple of times, and I am anxious about the reported crackling that might start showing up with this card.

Was my experience with the Tascam 100 just the product, or might there be different ways to route the playback/monitoring with these USB devices that eliminate that delay?

thanks
martin

Posted By: rharv Re: PCI or USB Audio Interface? - 09/24/10 06:14 PM
Yes, the realtime monitoring feature will usually eliminate the delay. Sounds like you were listening thru the computer instead of the realtime monitoring inside the unit.
However, many happy users of the 2496 also..
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: PCI or USB Audio Interface? - 09/24/10 08:38 PM
M-audio 24/96 8 years and running!

The tascam was the problem, setup was.
Posted By: mnich Re: PCI or USB Audio Interface? - 09/24/10 09:22 PM
Are you running the 2496 with Win7 64 bit?

Martin
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: PCI or USB Audio Interface? - 09/25/10 01:24 AM
No i am still on XP 32 bit, but there are folks on Win& 64, it is a bigger issue, but still possible. here is the Win7 64 bit driver. http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=supp...amp;OS=x91#tabs Let us know what is exactly happening and also let us know what OS in the first place, then we can be of more help.
© PG Music Forums