PG Music Home
Posted By: mnich Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/14/10 12:37 AM
Do I just monitor the output levels and try to keep each mix as close to the same as I can?
Posted By: rharv Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/14/10 02:37 AM
Best advice I can give on this is to "trust your ears".
Mix them, then listen..

To be honest, final levels fall on the mastering engineer.
There are easy ways to help balance the mix, such as using PGPeakLimit in the final output and visually balance things.
Also the PGRTA helps get a look at the sonics.

http://musicmastering.org
Check the premastering page.
Posted By: Mac Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/14/10 11:53 AM
Quote:

Do I just monitor the output levels and try to keep each mix as close to the same as I can?

That likely wouldn't sound very musical.

We have a scant amount of things we can work with inside of the Audio spectrum.

Frequency (Pitch), Time and Amplitude. In a Stereo mix, you can add spacial placement to that but should not lean on it as a crutch to avoid getting a good mono mix in the first place.

Amplitude is VERY important, in musial terms we define it as "Dynamics".

For example, when invoking a soft passage, one would not want those tracks blaring out at the listener. etc.

Don't look for pat formulas. Treat each mix as a brand new example and use your ears to blend the parts to suit the situation.

--Mac
Posted By: daveyscott Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/18/10 08:42 PM
hi can anyone help ,,,again sorry,, ive solved issues with biab realdrum volumes but when i transfer track to realband to add solos and stuff th drums are really low again also i cant switch back to biab must be doing summit wrong ive adjusted global volume on biab but cant find same on realband pref,s reall grate ful for helpas bands now split and need to get cracking on backing tracks cheers all
Posted By: rharv Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/18/10 08:58 PM
Highlite the realdrum track,
Click 'track-select whole track'
click 'Edit-Audio Effects- Gain Change'
Then look for the dropdown preset that says 'Normalize" and click OK.

Now you can turn drums down to match the rest of mix.

Realband does not have the quick adjust feature like BiaB, you have to do a little manual labor on each new song.
Posted By: LynB Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/19/10 02:11 PM
You can use the same preset to equalise final song tracks for a program such as for a CD although you will, no doubt, still need to use your ears to add or reduce gain in a few cases to obtain a consistent level of sound across all the tracks. The PG Gain Effect allows for 2db headroom which gives some room to add gain.
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/21/10 02:17 AM
You have to go with what sounds the best to you or what you think the target should be. If a particular track is not right, you can adjust it in the mixer window. If you think the mix is not right after you render to a final .wav file, you just have to try again. At least that's the way it is for me. FWIW.

Stan
Posted By: rharv Re: Mixdown with consistant volume level? - 10/24/10 05:32 PM
A mixed down wav file can easily be boosted or cut.

Open the wav file in RB.

To lower volume just move volume slider down for the track.
To raise volume, make sure track slider is all the way up (and main output slider) and use PGPeakLimit to raise the volume. Or some other loudness plugin.

Then merge it down again. It's all done digitally, it'll be fine.
Best to be close originally of course; but adjustments can easily be made most times.
© PG Music Forums