PG Music Home
RE: RB 2011.5 build 4
Back in mid July, there was some discussion concerning Midi tracks that are temporarily silent.

From Jeff Yankauer: "If I'm understanding correctly, I've been informed that the issue is with some soft synths,like Forte, which require a program change to be sent in order for the track not to be silent.
The workaround would likely to be to add a program change to track(s).
My understanding is that this isn't a new issue".

How do I insert a program change?
I remember reading that comment from Jeff and never understood it because I've never had that problem and I've had the Forte for years. To answer your question, highlight a track and either hit F2 or the "Event List" icon. That pulls up the event list, click Insert>controller>program change and put in the program number which is the GM patch number.

My confusion with this is virtually every midi file I have already has PC's in it and if it's a Biab song that was saved as a midi file, those have the PC's as well. I don't know how you would happen to have a file without them. Just remembered something, I do have some files that don't have PC's embedded in the event list but they do have a GM patch selected in the track properties which should be the same thing. I have never seen a midi file with no PC's in the event list and no instruments selected in the tracks. What kind of midi file is that? It's a nothing file I guess.

Bob
I've had Power Tracks and forte since 2005, and have had no problems with midi until RealBand.

Using BritFolk even 16 style, I typed a 20 bar repeating sequence of C, Am F, G7 into the chords window.Then I clicked on the RealBand "BB" button, and the program auto generated Midi Bass, Piano, Elect Guitar, and acoustic guitar (along with Real Drums).

Looking at the event list, I see no control messages, only notes.
Using your help, I added a control message at the start of each track. The control message specifies the GM patch number.

Still no sound, unless I "mouse around" while the file is playing - such as selecting just the GS wavetable synth with no Dxi, and then selecting the default dxi synth (either Coyote or Forte). Sometimes this action produces sound until the file finishes playing - but when I re-start - no Midi sound.
For what is worth, my Direct X is version 9.29.1974 issued 4-18-2011. My PG Music Direct X Plugins are shown as Ver 2.0.0.0.

This Midi file (embedded in a sequence file)is only about 12 KB is size. I will send this file to support and ask them to forward it on to you. I am curious to see if you have any trouble with this file, or is it me, and my machine ... Thanks.
File has been sent. Sorry, I forgot to strip the Real Drums from the file,and thus sent a much larger file than I intended.
© PG Music Forums