PG Music Home
Posted By: MitchC 2012 and loops - 12/03/11 10:21 PM
Can I add a percussion loop track in Real Band ? Can't see a way to do it... I'm sure there is a way, right ?
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: 2012 and loops - 12/03/11 10:39 PM
Quote:

Can I add a percussion loop track in Real Band ? Can't see a way to do it... I'm sure there is a way, right ?

When you hightlight a section and right click there is a menu item that says select and generate any loop. If you do this a yellow box comes up and says this feature is currently not implemented and should be in build 2. I tried importing a loop in BIAB which it did but it does not follow chord changes, if it does I have not figured it out.
Brian
Posted By: MitchC Re: 2012 and loops - 12/04/11 12:01 AM
Actually just got it to work. Right clicked on a new, blank track, selected "Select and generate AnyLoop" ... picked the shaker and voila.. a shaker track in the tempo of the tune !
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 2012 and loops - 12/04/11 01:34 PM
this is good info! Thanks for posting! I'm sure a lot of people will be trying the same things!

So, apparently the ability to generate a whole track's loop already works, but the ability to generate PART of a hilited track is what will be released in build 2?
Posted By: rharv Re: 2012 and loops - 12/04/11 01:52 PM
Not sure how you did that in RB, as it isn't working here .. I get same message. Were you in BiaB MitchC?
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: 2012 and loops - 12/04/11 03:21 PM
Quote:

Not sure how you did that in RB, as it isn't working here .. I get same message. Were you in BiaB MitchC?

Yes I agree, I cannot get it to work in RB either but it does in BIAB.
Brian
Posted By: MitchC Re: 2012 and loops - 12/04/11 05:51 PM
OK... some further updates...

YES, I'm in Real Band not BIAB.

The tune I did the shaker loop on last night was a new tune I'm doing... NO tracks were set to 'Freeze from generation'.... they were all 'unfrozen'

This morning I pulled up an older, finished tune. ALL tracks were 'frozen'. In this case, the loop track did not generate.. BUT when I 'unfroze' all the tracks then the new loop track DID generate.

Under NO circumstance I've tried so far, do I get any pop up indicating 'Feature not implemented or build 2 etc. When a track is frozen when trying to generate the new track w/ loop, I get a yellow dialog that tells me Track 'x' is frozen from generation.... and the loop track does not generate.

Not sure if drivers matter, but I'm using a Fast Track USB interface w/ M-Audio's ASIO driver.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 04:45 AM
The loops were added in RealBand build 2. Make sure that this is the version stated in your Help-About, and if it isn't, update via the Support Page.

You can generate Loops for the whole track, or a selected region.

All by right-clicking and Select And Generate AnyLoop
Posted By: MitchC Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 03:05 PM
Yes, I have build 2 which is why I was able to create the loops... BUT, still a bit annoying that NO track can be frozen from generation for the loop to get generated. Must make sure to add them before I settle on a 'keeper' RealTrack I suppose.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 03:12 PM
I am confused about freezing in RB?!? If the tracks are generated, why freeze them. They do not regen everytime like BiaB. So leave them alone, unless they are Synth and Midi tracks, and then you freeze to save CPU?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 03:18 PM
After tinkering a couple minutes this morning i am so excited. I could take separate drum waves, and built complete drum tracks from loops. It would require more work, but the possibilities are limitless.
Posted By: MitchC Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 05:03 PM
Interesting. In my Real Band, when I click the play button, all tracks regenerate that are not 'frozen'...just like in BIAB. So what is 'normal' for RB ? Is mine not working correctly ? If they are never regenerated, why have that 'Freeze from generation' option ?

Also, where would I go for a good source of drum / percussion loops that will work in RB ?
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 05:34 PM
I think the loops in RB have some issues. Here is something to try for yourself.
1. Start out new project. Make sure you have a style that has all real tracks in it selected.
2. Highlight one bar & right click on the highlighted bar and select & generate any loop.
3. Load in any loop & notice it will generate some Real Tracks and then generate the loop
4. Next start all over again with New and repeat except use a all MIDI style instead and notice this will only generate the loop and not several real tracks.
Posted By: jford Re: 2012 and loops - 12/06/11 05:39 PM
Quote:

Interesting. In my Real Band, when I click the play button, all tracks regenerate that are not 'frozen'

That's not how it is supposed to work. In RealBand, it should only generate (or re-generate) tracks when you first open a BIAB file (unless you've turned that off in options), or when you select one of the "generate" options. Just hitting play should only play what's already been generated, not regenerate each time. The "freeze from generation" feature is so that you can exclude track(s) from being re-generated, but only if you select one of the "generate" options.

Unless I've missed some feature somewhere...
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 05:59 AM
I did a loop feature test this evening, and i am fairly impressed. I have several older wave file loop disks, which i copied to the BB/RT/loop folder.

Some thing i tested were adding several tracks of percussion loops. interesting how you can layer them. Added Guitar chord strum loops, and i like the ability to have then trigger at the bars, and transpose to the chord root. Very handy, i also triggered drum loops and had it change at the part markers. Very cool. So far the tempo stretching works very well.

Bass grooves, drum loops, guitar loops, Nature sounds, anything you can imagine. Add this to Midi, RTs, RDs, and we have a very sophisticated program for building songs.

Important to remember that if you use a drum loop that has a crash at the end that will happen over and over, unless you experiment with the trigger perameters.

What a useful tool.

Again thanks to the PG team.
Posted By: John Conley Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 06:26 AM
[quote

Important to remember that if you use a drum loop that has a crash at the end that will happen over and over, unless you experiment with the trigger perameters.

I remember Trigger parameters. Roy Rogers would have that horse do some crazy things. I loved that show, along with Flying Doctor.

At the end of the day the Flying Dentist had a boring life, but made more money.

So, after the trigger thing, happy trails!

And I agree, a pandoras box of treasure was opened with the loopy thing. It's going to get lots of interest when everyone finds out that Band in a Box features loops.

Loops and Band in a Box. I'm sure most of us never saw that coming, despite the wish list. Backup tracks with Real musicians and loops, plugins and more and more great Realtracks, and improvements in how they play.

Band in a Box must be the number one program for providing backing tracks and more.

All any solo musician needs to impress the judges is Band in a Box 2012.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 12:15 PM
yes, loop experiments here are working out nicely!

I cut a drum snippet from a well-known Celtic CD and added it to the demo song of one of the celtic styles. It completely changed the feel of the song, and allowed me to add a guitar passage that didn't quite fit the drums before!

Loops.. man, they are a GAME changer! I find myself reconsidering my options at every point in the song creation cycle!

My ONLY complaint (and its a very small one):
the current system for picking loops REQUIRES that the loops reside in the BIAB loops folder.. there doesn't seem to be a way to navigate to a different directory to pick loops stored elsewhere on the system. Not a big deal if you are just installing loop libraries, because you can put them wherever you want. But if you already have a ton of songs that are hard wired to look for loops in a different directory, you can't just MOVE the loops, you have to COPY them... and that can require a lot of hard drive real estate.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 03:06 PM
Yes I agree Pat, i would like a browse feature to look around, and also a folder feature to arrange them.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 04:47 PM
This discussion MIGHT make me an RB customer. If only tempo locking for VST/VSTi and ASIO reliability could be addressed.... But I've been asking for that since around 2005/2006 so I'm not holding my breath.
Posted By: MitchC Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 04:52 PM
I have never used loops before and want to start now with them in my Real Band tunes. Can you guys suggest a place go to get good quality Percussion loops ?

Also I notice some sites offer them in ACID WAV format:
http://www.smartloops.com/products/percussionkit/

I need to know what to buy and to know for sure they are going to work in BIAB / REALBAND.

Thanks !
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 06:34 PM
I have tried the supplied WMA's and they work well, but i also used a few Wave format loops and they work well also. Smart loops have some good ones for sure. make sure you order Acid wave format.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: 2012 and loops - 12/08/11 06:39 PM
One really cool feature of this is tha avility to mae A/B loop tracks. Take a simple drum groove and have it switch at the part markers to a complex groove, and it is seemless.

Looping takes some skill, you may need to use extra tracks. One for the groove, and one for fills and such. Or cut and paste fills and flams over sections. Being able to add in percussion and sound effets is huge. Being able to loop in any synth sounds and have it follow the chord changes is huge!

I hope the guys build a detailed how to tutorial on looping alone.
Posted By: rparker Re: 2012 and loops - 12/09/11 01:29 PM
I was thinking about the loops' physical location issue(s) brought up earlier and was wondering if there was a way to change the default folder?
Posted By: CharleyO Re: 2012 and loops - 02/15/12 01:05 AM
Pat Marr said:

"Loops.. man, they are a GAME changer! I find myself reconsidering my options at every point in the song creation cycle!"

Hello! I totally agree. I migrate thru several music programs, yet always come back to BIAB. For the last year I have been using Reason and Acid Pro7 heavily. I have gigantic loops collections. When I dusted off BIAB11 last week and upgraded to 2012 I was looking at all the new features. I've only used BIAB in the past. I don't know why, but RealBand never sparked me and I never even opened it. It always seemed to be aimed more at PowerTracks users,,,,,,,I thought. I watched some RealBand videos on youtube and became hooked on it. Those RealReacks sound so much more realistic than my current midi setup. I found much similarity with the RealTracks and the loops I use in other programs.

I copied some loops to the BIAB folder and like what I heard. This certainly adds an exciting element to my song creation. It would be nice to directly access loops from their home folders instead of having to copy them. It is a waste of hard drive space to have them in two places. Maybe something BIAB2013 can address. It still amazes me how these music programs have evolved over the years and now a computer is the main platform. I so remember midi hardware from the early 80s and how you connected equipment together. Punching data into sequencers..................it took forever!!! Yet I still use some of those old midi files I created back then, mostly for nostalgia, if not really their musical content. This is a great forum, and I hope to share stuff later with all of you too!! -charley
Posted By: MitchC Re: 2012 and loops - 02/17/12 02:27 AM
Will be great when PG fixes the issue with regeneration in RB. I love the new loops feature and will use it often (when it's fixed)
© PG Music Forums