PG Music Home
OK, now this one is a biggie to me. I tweak the Real Tracks a LOT before mixing. I will regenerate a bar, a phrase until I find something I like.

Today, I highlighted a single bar of a vibes track, did the Regenerate Real Track - vibes patch (Selected region)... It DOES regenerate the selected region but also ERASES the next 4 bars ! Nada...wave form is wiped out !?
I tried a realtrack here and it worked fine for just the section. Do you have build 2 update for Realband?

I'm using an old hard drive for the realtracks, but I don't have a Vibes realtracks. Were you doing realtracks or MIDI? The fact you said Vibes patch makes me think you did a MIDI track..
Yes I have build 2. ALL are Real Tracks in this tune. I rarely use midi tracks. I've tried this on every track in the tune. It happens on EVERY track. Regenerates but then erase the next 4 bars completely.

BEFORE regeneration:

AFTER regeneration:

That's weird
Didn't happen here.

Two things I would try;

Consolidate the track, this may be part of the issue. (Track - Select Whole, then Track - Consolidate audio region)
If that doesn't work, try turning off 2 Bar ending..

If you like trying new generations of realtracks, have you found the multi but different feature yet? RB will generate 6 or 7 versions of a section for you to pick through.
I'm working my way through the new features and have noticed the new multi-riff option but not tried it yet.
I can't duplicate that one. Perhaps you could tell us more information on how to duplicate it:
For example:
1. Boot RealBand
2. Select style _JAZFRED
3. PRess BB button to generate RealTracks
4. Highlight an area around bar 3 to 4
5. Select Generate button and "Generate BB - selected Region -selected tracks"

When I do that. all is well, and there is no blank region past bars 3-4.

You might try [menu] Make all BB "blue" tracks regular tracks - as maybe the issue is related to you working on the BB tracks.
Peter,

In the example pics above...

1. Highlight selected region to regenerate
2. RT click -> Select Regenerate Real Bass (Selected region)
3. The result is as shown in the 'after' pic above.

I've opened a variety of tunes with different styles and this happens on ANY real track in ANY style.
Peters Suggestion is at the bottom of the tracks menu and is worth trying -
make all BB tracks regular tracks. I almost always do that.
OK, tried that.. made all BB tracks regular tracks... Same result

Did this just start today?
Have you been successful doing this in RB 2012 before?
Did you try 'consolidate track' as mentioned a few posts up?
Have you tried rebooting the computer, and restarting RB?

Neither Peter or I could duplicate this.. weird.
rharv (sorry dont know your name). Yes, I've done everything you have suggested in your last post...consolidated track (never done this before), rebooted etc..

This did not happen prior to the 2012 upgrade. Today is the first day I've had to really try some things out under normal working conditions, and not having fun today in several areas.
One other thing I noticed during testing; having a browser open caused issues with the song generation window. Not this problem specifically, but others like the stylepicker list coming up with a blank area, or hiding behind the main screen. With browser closed I had no problems. Just mentioning it.

I tried a bunch of times to duplicate the problem you are having (again just now) and couldn't get it to happen. I don't know what else to suggest.

My name is Bob by the way.. or rharv is fine, either way.
I'll sift through testing notes and see if I can find anyone else that had this issue, and post any results if I find them.

Do you have any tempo changes in your song by chance?
One other thing I thought of ..
In the song generation area, beside the actual generating buttons there are two buttons for setting the song range. Are those still at 1 and 32? Have they been changed? Don't know why this would matter, just trying to think of something that would cause it.
Bob,

Closed my browser...same result

Opened a tune with no tempo changes... same result.

This will drive me nuts unless a fix is found. I use this technique ALL THE TIME and now I can't.

My temporary work-around is to generate the same track on another track, do the regen (still erases stuff)... then cut and paste a bar / phrase back into my original track... BUT this is not an acceptable solution IMHO.
Quote:

One other thing I thought of ..
In the song generation area, beside the actual generating buttons there are two buttons for setting the song range. Are those still at 1 and 32? Have they been changed? Don't know why this would matter, just trying to think of something that would cause it.

This range will change depending on the song right ? Not all songs are 32 bars.

Point is, I have done this routinely, and now I can't !
Bob, don't want to clutter this thread with other issues, but just tried the Multi-riff option. Nice feature, but my playback of the options are garbled and an octave lower than what's on the track ? Great.
UPDATE:

Just spent over an hour on the phone with Rob at PG Support and he has duplicated my regeneration issue ! HURRAY (I think ?) He took control of my PC, witnessed the issue, took one of my files and tried it on his system and got the same results. SO... hopefully, this will result in a RealBand build 2.x ? or 3 ?

Side Note: The support at PG MUSIC has got to be the absolute BEST of ANY software program I've owned ! Hats off to you guys in support !
Quote:

He took control of my PC, witnessed the issue, took one of my files and tried it on his system and got the same results.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but can't tell you how many times I have wanted software support in general to do this, "...just take control and push the buttons and show me how to do this!!" Good for them.
Thanks for sticking it out MitchC
Bob - as we prepare to advance to 2012, do you remember that there was the case of disappearing bars when attempting to regenerate track portions back around 2011 - I remember Silvertones and others talking about it.

I don't recall that the issue or cause was ever solved. Do you?

Ian

PS apologies Mitch for butting in but seemed related.
Yes, which is why I went back into testing notes to try to find that, but couldn't find it. Nothing mentioned during 2012 testing; I searched on "generat" so it would pick up both generate and generation .. but saw nothing regarding missing bars.

If support can dupe it, they can help much more than I can now.
I have a similar issue at times. will generate a few tracks, and maybe do a tempo change and regenerate a bunch of them, and some will act up. I look at them and say it is a stereo track, near the end of the track, maybe the last few bars, one half will have no color to it for a stretch, and the other half is still yellow. Some mono tracks will have the color stop at a point, but the wave form is still there. It all seems to play, but kind of glitchy.
Disappearing Bars ? Where will I escape to when my wife is home ? Say it ain't true ! lol
No problem Ian.

UPDATE:

I created a brand new song in BIAB this morning, then opened it in Real Band. Tried the regenerate selected region and it WORKS FINE ! ..on any track I tried. So, this seems to only be a factor for songs constructed prior to the 2012 release.

For me, that means about 30 tunes I have in construction may have to go on the scrap heap and recreate them all from scratch in the 2012 software... or wait for a patch from support.
FWIW when I tested yesterday I also tested on a song created in 2011 and had no problems so that may not be the issue. I did this before trying a new style with all BB track (which still worked).

If you still think it is part of the problem, try this; open an older song in RB, and don't change anything, just 'Save As' to another name. Then open that new file and try.. if the saving format is an issue it may reveal itself by simply saving it before working.

Maybe your computer was just tired yesterday
Yesterday in my marathon phone call with Rob in support, he was able to duplicate the issue on his system (he grabbed one of my files to his PC).

Bob, I tried other methods this morning as well, including what you suggested... taking an existing track, save as new name, open the new file and it still produces the missing wave form. I have regenerated all Real Tracks on an existing (older) file, still no good.

From my testing so far, it looks like any file created with non-2012 software produces this issue, at least on my system. I created 3 brand new 'tunes' and they all work fine with no regen issues.
Weird, like I said I tried an older file yesterday with no problem. Hopefully support will get it sorted out.
Indeed...if PG's development staff is 1/2 as dedicated as Rob and others on the support staff, I would expect a build revision sometime soon !

rharv, I'd love for you to send me one of your files to test in my setup ? Possible ?
On this machine the smallest seq file I have is 54 meg, and it's a while back (old) maybe last saved in RB2011, been saved as another name quite a few times, but it's also the oldest seq file. I just checked it and it worked fine here. You wanna try a 54 meg download? I could probably erase a few tracks to shrink it a little .. and you'll likely not have the plugins I used, so the tracks would sound way off from how they do here .. but I'd post it for testing. Long as the filesize isn't an issue.
Do have a BIAB .sgu file w/ some Real Tracks, create date early 2011 ? I could then import that into RB
Probably not.
sgu files don't last long here, and since we were talking RB I assumed seq files. That may be a clue; opening old sgu files .. I can't test that presently.
Quote:

OK, now this one is a biggie to me. I tweak the Real Tracks a LOT before mixing. I will regenerate a bar, a phrase until I find something I like.

Today, I highlighted a single bar of a vibes track, did the Regenerate Real Track - vibes patch (Selected region)... It DOES regenerate the selected region but also ERASES the next 4 bars ! Nada...wave form is wiped out !?

I have had the same problem with 2011 & 2012 all the time,
it also generates a blank yellow track all the way up to bar 250 odd
when you may only have 98 bars.
I sent a video in to support quite some time back.

BAR_ERASE.avi

Bob.
I had an issue (my fault ) with the 11.5 Everything Pak. HD. With just one call P.G. Music took control of my lap top and fixed it as I sit and watched. The HD went back in the box and is now waiting for the 2012 -2 DVD update. Thanks again Will. e.l.c.
Leon, I had a marathon phone call with support and Rob did exactly that... took control of my laptop and witnessed first hand the issue I'm having. He took one of my files to his system and produced the same results. So I'm patiently awaiting a fix for this in an upcoming patch / build.

Solidrock's avi file shows exactly the same problem I'm having, so I know it is not just ME or my system.
Quote:

I have a similar issue at times. will generate a few tracks, and maybe do a tempo change and regenerate a bunch of them, and some will act up. I look at them and say it is a stereo track, near the end of the track, maybe the last few bars, one half will have no color to it for a stretch, and the other half is still yellow. Some mono tracks will have the color stop at a point, but the wave form is still there. It all seems to play, but kind of glitchy.

Robh, the key word here is "tempo change". Mitch, I'm willing to bet that your original song had a tempo change in it somewhere, maybe a ritard, or maybe a tempo change introduced after using the ACW, or other tempo change that you introduced into the song. That will trigger the behavior you described.

This first became an issue with the introduction of RB 2011, when Elastique became a feature. I had some correspondence with PG about it. They confirmed that the problem existed and they would work on a solution to be introduced in an update. But so far the problem still exists, even now with the intro of 2012.

Try creating another new song in RB and put a tempo change in it. Then try regenerating some (not all) bars. You can duplicate the problem this way. The only workaround I've found is to either re-generate the whole track (not a portion), or re-generate an additional, duplicate track and cut-and-paste what you need to use.

I was hoping the issue would be resolved for the 2012 edition, but so far not so.

Terry
Terry, that is the 'work-around' I'm doing now... generate the same track on a different track, do the regen and copy / paste sections back into the original track.
It looks like the issue Mitch describes is limited to songs with tempo changes in them. At least there were tempo changes in the examples that Rob looked at. That would explain why others aren't seeing it.

Mitch, please confirm that if possible.

We'll work on a patch for that, it has likely been present for a few years, not something new with 2012.
Thanks for taking a look at the tempo change situation. Appreciated.
A lot of what made the ACW so powerful was the way RB could handle the resulting tempo map .. full of changes every measure, but generated flawlessly before !
Peter, just loaded 4 tunes in Real Band that do NOT have any tempo changes. Behaviour is still the same... wipes out waveform when regenerating a section.

UPDATE.. just loaded a 5th tune with no tempo change and the regen works fine ! Why not on the other 4... don't have a clue.

UPDATE AGAIN. The other tunes I loaded DID have tempo changes. Looks like you may be right. I only have 2 tunes with no tempo changes and neither one have the problem with regen.
ALSO.. just generated a brand new file w/ 2012 BIAB then into Real Band WITH TEMPO CHANGE.. Regen wipes out waveform...so it seems as if it IS related to tempo changes regardless of release ?
Quote:

It looks like the issue Mitch describes is limited to songs with tempo changes in them. At least there were tempo changes in the examples that Rob looked at. That would explain why others aren't seeing it.

Mitch, please confirm that if possible.

We'll work on a patch for that, it has likely been present for a few years, not something new with 2012.

That is correct, not new with 2012. Was not an issue in 2010 version, but appeared beginning with the 2011 version. Thanks Peter for looking into it for us.

Terry
I have experienced the very same problem. After reading the forums and trying the suggestions, I concluded that it does only happen on songs with tempo changes. Would love to see a fix for this.
© PG Music Forums