PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/18/11 08:01 PM
Is anybody out there willing to create a song in RB that is 100% loops (like an ACID or FLstudio project) and post it to the user showcase? I think that would really jump start an awareness of what loops can do.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/19/11 07:13 AM
We are expecting a new grandchild right now, but after that i would dive in if time allows.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/19/11 12:13 PM
Quote:

We are expecting a new grandchild right now, but after that i would dive in if time allows.

hey congratulations! Boy or girl??
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/19/11 12:42 PM
Preliminary report thru ultra sound are girl, but hey those are not always right.

Just ask my sister's oldest and all the pink he had to wear!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/20/11 02:07 AM
Quote:

hey congratulations! Boy or girl??

Yes. It will be one of those two options.

I am lost on the "loop" thing. Isn't that nothing more than a hypnotic pulse repeated for 20 minutes? Am I missing something? I think of every chord progression to be a kind of a loop.

Another aspect of music that is lost on me. I honestly thought looping was just playing the same 4 bars of drum beat while some angry guy talks badly about society.

:edited for spelling and grammar:
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/20/11 04:11 AM
Quote:

Another aspect of music that is lost on me. I honestly thought looping was just playing the same 4 bars of drum beat while some angry guy talks bad about society.

heh... in some hands, it is indeed exactly that. But it can be much more.

Real tracks are sort of a cross between loops and MIDI styles (In the sense that the styles make snippets of MIDI adaptive to different situations). They differ from loops in that loops are a little bit less adaptive than real tracks.

But the way PGMusic has applied loops, I think they are more adaptive than in other software... mostly because they can follow the chords or bass notes... and unlike real tracks, you can make your own loops! And after you've made exactly what you want, it conforms to RBs system and can be added to tracks and even styles! Therein lies the main advantage of this system!

Loops can be short snippets or longs snippets.

A single short snippet repeated over and over gets boring pretty quickly.

But multiple complex snippets mixed together in the right way can yield results that don't sound any more repetitive than the same song would sound if you played it manually into a tape recorder. All songs repeat. The trick to using loops is the judicious selection and placement of patterns
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/21/11 03:54 PM
Quote:

But the way PGMusic has applied loops, I think they are more adaptive than in other software... mostly because they can follow the chords or bass notes... and unlike real tracks, you can make your own loops! And after you've made exactly what you want, it conforms to RBs system and can be added to tracks and even styles! Therein lies the main advantage of this system!

are you saying you can
record a musical idea on a single track (multiple tracks ??)
save it as a wave file in the loops folder
access it in your song via the loop procedure as specified in the manual

and it will conform to RBs system, can follow the chords or bass notes, and can be added to tracks and even styles
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/22/11 02:55 AM
Quote:

Quote:

are you saying you can
record a musical idea on a single track (multiple tracks ??)

yes

Quote:

save it as a wave file in the loops folder

yes

Quote:

access it in your song via the loop procedure as specified in the manual

yes

Quote:

and it will conform to RBs system, can follow the chords or bass notes,

yes

Quote:

and can be added to tracks and even styles

yes.

The 2012 new features video for RB briefly shows an example of saving a snippet of a real track to a separate file... but it could just as easily be a snippet of something the user recorded himself.

When you add the snippet as a loop to a project, the same dialog that lets you pick the file also lets you set other options, such as whether it will adapt to the timing or to the chords or to the slash/bass notes and a few more things I haven't tried yet.

pretty cool, huh?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/22/11 12:32 PM
Regarding the part about conforming to the PG paradigm of following the chords etc...

loops aren't QUITE as adaptive as real tracks. They can't change from a major chord to a minor chord. So its a little more work to create snippets for each of the chords you want to use in a project. Also you have to apply the chords to the right place in the project.

But in the end, you can use the rapid song development power of RB and generate a song with parts that you played.

Once you've created your snippets you can use them in other projects or create styles containing them
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/22/11 06:26 PM
2012 prediction

One of biab\rb 2012.5 50 new features! loop packs sets 1-?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Loop Challenge-- any takers? - 12/22/11 10:32 PM
Quote:

2012 prediction

One of biab\rb 2012.5 50 new features! loop packs sets 1-?

But of course!
© PG Music Forums