PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 03:20 PM
In her latest attempts to avoid my suggestion of writing her own music, my daughter has started purchasing karaoke versions of songs and asking me to record her singing along. We did one with her and her friend Chad recently. I'll share for a short while -

http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/chelle_chad2.WMA

I believe this karaoke license includes recording yourself singing with it, if recording is not used in a commercial setting.. even recording it as a gift for someone is specifically mentioned as OK, so Merry Christmas!
turn it down .. and get off my lawn
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 03:55 PM
Wow you're a voice mixing Genius Bob ! Share how you do it in a made for dummies video ,PLEASE !
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 04:09 PM
Quote:

In her latest attempts to avoid my suggestion of writing her own music

IGS,instant gratification syndrome, hopefully she won't have it as long as i have
haven't found a cure yet though I've decided to work at it in 2012

hang in there you're not alone

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he’d learned in seven years.” – Mark Twain

sounds nice though
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 04:15 PM
Tommy,
Recorded them with B-1 mic through VTB-1 preamp and into RB, along with pe-loaded mp3 karaoke file.
Each got PG10band EQ to cut below 120 or 250, and Classic Compressor vocal preset to help bring them out front a little.
Panned slightly L/R, and inserted Ambience reverb in AUX1. That's about all that was done with vocals.
WMA compression took a little away from it, but not too bad.

If you downloaded Kjauerhaus Classic Compressor and the full version of Ambience (both free) I could send a couple tgs files and you could see exactly how they were all set up.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 04:17 PM
pghboemike,
I'm trying to be patient ..
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 04:51 PM
Wow Bob, nice mix, did you have clean up the karaoke version file much?

Those kids can sing!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 04:54 PM
Very hot mix, well done by all...
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 04:57 PM
Robh,
I think I EQ'd it a little and sent a little of it to the reverb in AUX ..
There is a distortion in the file as the song fades that I could do nothing about.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 05:09 PM
Um, that was PRACTICE work?
Posted By: seeker Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 05:13 PM
rharv,

You can certainly wear your mantel of experience very well.
Your daughters performance is great, and you working over
the mix makes it sound as good as anything one could
purchase and better than most.

Thanks for sharing !
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 05:41 PM
Quote:

Um, that was PRACTICE work?

Considering when Chad first walked up to the mic my daughter said "Ummm Chad, you should probably turn around." He was standing on the wrong side of the LDC mic initially, so yeah I should probably consider it practice work still, at least until they know which side of the mic to sing into.
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 06:47 PM
Bob, Sounds great to me.....regardless of what you started with, your final result is .......(as others have said).....a very commercial mix.............it will make me go and listen again to my own mixes! ....And your daughter has a great "vocal presnce", I think! Happy Christmas! Joe G.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 07:05 PM
Thanks Joe
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 07:21 PM
Quote:

Considering when Chad first walked up to the mic my daughter said "Ummm Chad, you should probably turn around." He was standing on the wrong side of the LDC mic initially, so yeah I should probably consider it practice work still, at least until they know which side of the mic to sing into.

For some reason I am seeing Nigel Tufnel lost under the stage.....
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Sharing practice work - 12/24/11 11:14 PM
Rharv,

If your daughter likes to sing alot, you should check out Singsnap.com. It is a karaoke site that has great music and alot of choices there. It has helped my vocal pitch and intonation by singing there on a daily basis. It really has.

She can sign up for free. The freebies limit which songs and key settings she can use. The monthly fee is $12 for Gold status which allows every song and key to sing with.

I would suggest this site to anyone who is wanting to improve their vocals with.

Trax
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/25/11 12:41 AM
Quote:

Tommy,
Recorded them with B-1 mic through VTB-1 preamp

If you downloaded Kjauerhaus Classic Compressor and the full version of Ambience (both free) I could send a couple tgs files and you could see exactly how they were all set up.

Wow, a Behringer B1 and a Studio Projects VTB1 pre? Nice....I really wish I would have kept ahold of my VTB1......

And I would like to check out your settings if I may, I will even open RB for that!
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/25/11 12:47 AM
Yes on the equipment used.
I'll get things posted in next day or so. Kind of busy here tonight.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Sharing practice work - 12/25/11 05:58 AM
One of my fav songs - loved it!
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/25/11 03:00 PM
jcspro40
your PM is turned off, need email address or some way to contact.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 01:32 PM
Here's a video of Michelle on Christmas Eve, singing a version of Silent Night. After second verse there were supposed to be backup singers coming out. For some reason the director stopped them from coming out and left Michelle on her own out there. That's where the "oh oh" happens as she realizes she has to cover a section where the backup singers were supposed to sing ..
She was singing in one of those big churches with the huge screens on stage etc.

http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/michelle_silent_night.mp4
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 01:40 PM
Link not working??
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 01:42 PM
Works here, and opens media player. Maybe you don't have mp4 codec?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 01:55 PM
Rharv, do you really think I don't have an MP4 codec??

Let me try again.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 01:57 PM
It's all I could think of for why it wouldn't work for you ..

What happens when you click it?
Moved link to this page for convenience -
http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/michelle_silent_night.mp4
(Michelle singing silent night video)
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 02:05 PM
OK, all is good now. Very nice performance. Reminds me of a joke we played on our trombone player. He started a tune off on his own with a routy 8 bars at which point the band was supposed to join in. Instead we left him all along on his own with the silence following his solo performace. - well I guess you had to be there. Michelle recovered better than he did!

Oh and the codac?, well perhaps you are right, I did simply pivot my chair to another computer and it came up fine.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 02:20 PM
Thanks for listening.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 02:26 PM
I get a transport button on my player but no content.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 02:28 PM
Must be the mp4 codec, Eddie. I can try to make it a wmv but it will be larger in size that way.
Better yet, I'll utube it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-89gtcgwOZ0&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 02:37 PM
I use DivX. Is there a better one you could suggest?
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 02:54 PM
Dunno, look above, I youtubed it for ya..
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 04:07 PM
Quote:

In her latest attempts to avoid my suggestion of writing her own music, my daughter has started purchasing karaoke versions of songs and asking me to record her singing along. We did one with her and her friend Chad recently. I'll share for a short while -

http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/chelle_chad2.WMA

Your daughter and friend are very talented singers, and they're fortunate to have such a talented Father/recording engineer to produce their sound. What a team!
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 06:16 PM
Thanks Pat!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 06:38 PM
Man, to be that good at such a young age..... with a life still waiting in the wings....
Posted By: rharv Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 06:40 PM
Yeah, kinda scary for her dad .. thanks Eddie
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sharing practice work - 12/26/11 06:45 PM
Her dad can retire early on her royalties.... (see: Swift, Taylor)
© PG Music Forums