PG Music Home
Posted By: silvertones My turn with ASIO - 03/23/12 03:52 PM
I have six other programs that use ASIO perfectly. Why is RB & BIAB & PT the only programs that give me "error starting ASIO driver".
I do have a need to use ASIO with my controller.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/23/12 06:29 PM
OK I figured out my issue. Might relate to others.When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.
Under the Audio Devices pull down is a check box that says "do not map through this device"
Checking this has allowed ASIO to work perfectly. Yea.
I just need to figure out how to use the thru channel in RB. BIAB is easy RB not so much.
Posted By: rharv Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/23/12 10:54 PM
Glad you got it whooped.
Posted By: LynB Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 10:14 AM
Have a look at Preferences > Midi > Thru - settings hear may help.
Posted By: toucher Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 02:49 PM
Hey John, which asio driver are you using?

Rob
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 03:05 PM
Quote:

Hey John, which asio driver are you using?

Rob

Rob,
I have an older Toshiba laptop who's soundcard(internal) didn't have ASIO.Itr's an AC97 card. I met this guy via the KX forums that is a keyboard player and a programmer. He developed a native ASIO driver for these older cards.I've been helping him with the testing of it in the past. I got a newer version then the one posted. It's native not a wrapper like ASIO4ALL. I can play standalones with 2ms latency. I have to set it to 4-8 ms to play both RB & a soft synth. Check it out. There's a utility to run to see if your sound card is compatible.

Native AC97 ASIO Driver
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 03:12 PM
Quote:

Under the Audio Devices pull down is a check box that says "do not map through this device"

This is absolutely insane. Yet another example of oh I don't know, a hundred maybe completely useless statements in a pull down window. Not just here, statements like that are all through help files for different programs with no explanations whatsoever. It's left to the user to Google that statement and try to find out what if anything, that means. What in the **** IS that supposed to mean? What idiot wrote that? It forces the user to make an assumption that if it's NOT checked then something IS mapping through this device? What, pray tell and what does that mean to a user having a problem with latency? And this wonderful piece of info is supposed to help the user do what exactly with no explanation? Mapping?? We don't need no stinkin mapping, just tell us what to check or uncheck and most importantly WHY.

This is complete technobabble BS nonsense and needs to be cleaned up in plain english.

Bob
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 03:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

This is absolutely insane. Yet another example of oh I don't know, a hundred maybe completely useless statements in a pull down window. Not just here, statements like that are all through help files for different programs with no explanations whatsoever. It's left to the user to Google that statement and try to find out what if anything, that means. What in the **** IS that supposed to mean? What idiot wrote that? It forces the user to make an assumption that if it's NOT checked then something IS mapping through this device? What, pray tell and what does that mean to a user having a problem with latency? And this wonderful piece of info is supposed to help the user do what exactly with no explanation? Mapping?? We don't need no stinkin mapping, just tell us what to check or uncheck and most importantly WHY.

This is complete technobabble BS nonsense and needs to be cleaned up in plain english.

Bob

OK Bob now you've got that off your chest LOL & I don't know if you're ranting at me, PG or who.
What are your real thoughts. Did this help you?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 04:57 PM
reminds me of the time I couldn't figure out ANYTHING about BIAB...

then one day buried under several layers of menus, I found the [x]STUPID checkbox.

Once I unchecked it, everything started working for me.

Now I'm looking for the [X]NO TALENT checkbox, so I can uncheck it too.

Posted By: DrDan Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 05:42 PM
You guys are a hoot this morning...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/24/12 06:09 PM
Quote:

You guys are a hoot this morning...

Only because we found the [x]SOUND LIKE AN OWL checkbox and checked it
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 04:12 AM
Good thing he said Hoot, and not Toot!!!What box do you un-check for that!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 06:53 AM
Definitely not you John. It's the people who write these things in the program.

It's been suggested many times over the years that the help files need a sort of beta test where all us usual suspects rewrite this stuff so non nerds can understand it. "Mapping to a device". Who the heck uses that term except a pure techie? I'll bet if you were to ask 100 very experienced users what that means and to write a description of it maybe 5 could. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is 2. Mac and Rharv It's just a major pet peeve of mine because it's completely unnessary.

Help balloon: Having latency problems? Check this, this and this in that order until it's fixed. That's it, who cares what's it's really doing in the background. So it's no longer mapping to some device. Wonderful, I don't need to know that and neither does 99% of the users out there.

There can be another checkbox for the advanced addendum using all the latest undergrad technical terms for those who just have to know what's really happening in excruciating detail. It says: Check here for the 487 page technical manual. The section on latency problems would say something like if you're having problems with unauthorized mapping of device 004.45598XX.EE6792462 due to hardware incompatabilities caused by using the Texas Instruments audio chip TXA01134-18 in conjuction with the MAudio driver version 433.6.03 blah, blah, blah etc then try this.

For the rest of us, check these 3 boxes in order until the problem goes away. If that doesn't work try the combinations. There's only 9. If that doesn't work, switch to Sonar...

On a more serious note, the software could throw a code that we may not understand but one call to Support and they could then tell us exactly what the problem is and how to fix it. Sort of like the fault codes on any modern cars' diagnostic computer. The Mercedes forum has members who understand all those codes and that helps if you're having a problem with your car.

Am I starting to sound like a Luddite?

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 12:34 PM
Bob
Re-read his post -
"When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.

This is not an RB term. It's Windows
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 02:29 PM
Quote:

Bob
Re-read his post -
"When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.

This is not an RB term. It's Windows

Thanks Bob. Saved me the typing.
ASIO has been flawless since!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 03:02 PM
Never mind!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 03:25 PM
Great, it's Bill Gates again. Figures. Still if that's what really solved the problem with latency should't there be something in RB telling us that may be one option to try?

Bob
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 03:51 PM
My inability to use thru was a result of the never ending finicky action of the Forte
Posted By: Tommyc Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 03:54 PM
I agree Biab/Rb should have a popup that suggests do not map this device! Great Sleuthing Silvertone my old PC has an AC97 sound card!
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 05:13 PM
Tommy,
You'll like that ASIO driver for the old AC97.Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the latest that I got from Lex.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/25/12 10:02 PM
I've been using ASIO all day and it's worked great.
FWIW I just received an email, coincidently, from my friend Lex who developed the AC97 ASIO driver. He's working on a new version with a couple of bug fixes AND trying once again to get it to work better with PG. And another surprise. Most I'm sure don't know that E. has stopped working on the KX drivers for Creative cards thus leaving Audigy 2 ZS Notebook cards less then perfect. Lex is developing a new complete driver for these cards. Should be interesting. He's a working musician as well as a gifted programmer and knows what we need.
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/27/12 07:31 PM
Still going strong. Been doing all sorts of recording.
I heard back from my friend Lex and am hoping to get his new driver for the Audigy2ZS Notebook card.It's going to be just 8 ASIO outs & ins. No real fancy bells and whistles however you can bet your bottom dollar it'll work right if his AC97 ASIO driver is any indication.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: My turn with ASIO - 03/28/12 02:11 PM
John,
if your friend is that good at making drivers, he could probably make a living out of all the USB devices that stopped working with windows 7, and were left unsupported by the manufacturers.
Posted By: ChuckD Re: My turn with ASIO - 04/03/12 05:37 PM
Okay, I guess it's my turn to beat my head against the wall for awhile. After having a project almost finished, my bass track suddenly is inaudible (it's a track brought over from BIAB). I've read the forums, tried the control panel fix,---no dice. I get the error,---"Error creating ASIO buffer", then "Error starting ASIO driver". It happens twice in succession. I'm using a Line 6 UX-2 audio interface,---checked for all the latest drivers,---should be fine. Any ideas?

Chuck
Pentium 2.0 GHZ Dual-Core; 2 GB Ram; Windows Vista SP2
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 04/03/12 06:27 PM
That was my issue as well until I discovered the mapping issue. I'm just using the internal card so was having the issue of trying to use one card for ASIO in RB & for Windows. Can't do it. The thing to look for is make sure that Windows didn't grab onto UX-2 for playing back Windows sounds.ASIO can only be used in one application at a time.
Posted By: ChuckD Re: My turn with ASIO - 04/03/12 08:21 PM
John,
That was it,---I used the GS and adjusted the latency and viola! If you lived closer to New Jersey I'd marry you...:-) Thanks again,---it was getting to be one of those frustrating, depressing days, but all is well with the world again (well,---relatively speaking!) Enjoy your day!

ChuckD
Posted By: silvertones Re: My turn with ASIO - 04/04/12 01:21 AM
Quote:

John,
That was it,---I used the GS and adjusted the latency and viola! If you lived closer to New Jersey I'd marry you...:-) Thanks again,---it was getting to be one of those frustrating, depressing days, but all is well with the world again (well,---relatively speaking!) Enjoy your day!

ChuckD

Cool!
Posted By: jazaddict Re: My turn with ASIO - 04/09/12 07:53 PM
On the subject of help files:

A guy piloting a helicopter is lost in the fog. He inches forward until he sees an office building appear with a fellow standing near an open window. From the helicopter the pilot yells "WHERE AM I?" to which the office fellow answers "YOU'RE IN A HELICOPTER". With that the pilot turned right, flew 3.2 miles, and landed without incident on the tarmac of the airport. He went into the pilot's lounge and proceeded to tell his story to his cronies. They, of course, wanted to know why he all of a sudden knew where to go....to which he said "because the office guy's answer 100% accurate and totally useless I knew I was at Microsoft, and I know where the airport is from there".

:-/
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: My turn with ASIO - 07/26/12 06:34 PM
Quote:

OK I figured out my issue. Might relate to others.When I go to control panel/sound&audio devices/hardware/ double click on my audio card/properties.
I just need to figure out how to use the thru channel in RB. BIAB is easy RB not so much.

That dialogue doesn't appear in Win7.
There is a drop box that offers:
use this device
don't use this device

Anyone know what the choice should be?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: My turn with ASIO - 07/28/12 02:05 PM
Quote:

Anyone know what the choice should be?

Honestly, as I tell people all day at the help desk, try one. If it doesn't work, it's the other one.

"Cut the red wire. It's ALWAYS the red wire."
© PG Music Forums