PG Music Home
Posted By: WienSam Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/21/12 04:51 PM
I'm not sure I am using this feature properly but it does create some VERY nice riffs! Just select an empty track, right click on the left end of it and select MultiRiff [685: Harmonica...]. It will then generate a whole track of harmonica according to the chord sheet. It is even possible to select just a bar or two to run this on.

If anybody knows how to use the option below this [MultiRiff... (Choose)], could they please explain?

I must say, this trick seems to create more usabble melodies for the folk/country genre for a vocalist than the Melody or Soloist feature does
Posted By: rharv Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/21/12 08:42 PM
The 'choose' option lets you select a different Realtrack to try.
Should open the Realtrack Selection window.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/22/12 03:02 AM
Yes, Bob. It does that. But will it generate riffs with other instruments? For instance, would it work with a strummed guitar RT?
Posted By: CharleyO Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/22/12 11:58 PM
Hello,

I'm so glad I read your post. I haven't tried the "riff generation" feature until tonight. I auditioned several and liked what was played. I can see myself using this feature a lot more!! Best wishes. -charley
Posted By: seeker Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/24/12 02:40 AM
Yes "Ditto" on charley's post, great information, just marked it.

Thank you!
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/24/12 11:51 AM
Thanks for posting Sam. Didn't know about this...it's a great creative tool.
Posted By: rharv Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/24/12 10:46 PM
Wonder how many more new features are not yet understood by so many?
Posted By: WienSam Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/26/12 11:10 AM
Hmm. I have played around with this feature a bit more and done some analysis on it - more to come. So far, it seems that 'Riff' means something different to jazz musicians as it does to rock/pop/country. Having watched the video on this topic and tried it out across a whole song, I can no longer see this as a 'riff' tool - to my mind, it is more of a 'style' tool as it does not seem to generate actual riffs at all. I know there are some terminology differences (for instance, a 'chorus' in jazz does not appear to be the same as a 'chorus' in rock/pop/country) and a 'style' could conceivably have two separate meanings between the genres but to my mind a 'riff' is a one or two bar musical piece that modulates according to the chord. However...

The 'riff' tool can be used to get you half way to a riff based line. You can take an RT and make a 1 bar section (or 2 bar, or 4) and save that as a loop. If you set the loop to modulate with the chords (dependant either on the root or the slash), you NOW have a riff based line - very useful for bass parts... Of course, the one bar riff would be the easiest to work with
Posted By: CharleyO Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/26/12 10:31 PM
Hello Sam,

Where did you find a video about this? Thanks. -charley
Posted By: WienSam Re: Riff generation RT685 Harmonica - 04/29/12 01:04 PM
Hi Charley - here

There are only 2 videos on 2012 and this is a new feature
© PG Music Forums