PG Music Home
Have been exploring RealBand lately...fantastic program. But here recently, have come across a problem with the DXi Coyote Forte. Have setup .dll's to my Garritan software, to TTS-1 and to Kontakt 5...all are working fine. When I went back to the Forte DXi, only channel 3 would play (piano) along with the rendered RealDrums. Have opened up many .MGU files...all the same even though the Forte plugin shows sounds assigned to other channels. Strangely, the Forte plug-in works fine on all files in BIAB. Have deleted all other plugins thinking there may be a conflict but still the same...only channel 3 plays in RealBand. Any thoughts to help me get it working correctly?
Right-click track below track name and check the port settings (synth assigned)
Compare track withchannel 3 to otjers.
Same method - check patch assignment
Same method - check MIDI channel
Hi Rharv....appreciate you jumping in here to help. Right clicked and checked out synth setting...all channels set to the default Forte DXi. Reroute midi play back set to Forte Dxi in the midi driver setup window. Patch assignment and midi channels are as follows: channel 2 - acoustic bass, channel 3 - Steinway acoustic grand, channel 4, the melody track - Sax. I can change the patch on tracks 3, 6 and 10 in Forte and the instrument will change and play accordingly. But when I change the patches on the other tracks, even though they indicate that they have changed in teh Forte window and the VU's in RT are showing sound being generated, there is no sound. As before, in BIAB, everything functions normally. It's as if I've changed the output somewhere. I've reinitialized RealBand following Silvertones .bat file suggestion and have deleted RB.cfg and Realband.ini but this doesn't seem to help. Any other ideas?
Was this an imported MIDI file? If so, you might want to see if there is some odd channel information embedded in the track that is over-riding your settings. The F2 key can be your friend here.
Found the problem, I think: midi controller 11: Expression (EXP) is set to "0" for all of the tracks not sounding. Increasing it allows those tracks to sound. I thought controller 11 was for fades and crescendos. Must admit, this is one controller I have not used. In looking at many of my stock .MGU files all tracks other than 3, 6 and 7 are set to "0" for Expression. All sounding tracks are set to 127. Still, I only see this issue in RealTracks and not BIAB. Strange. Is controller 11 set to "0" or "127" as the default? How is it that the settings for this controller have changed?
Midi CC11 should be set to 127 as a default on the reinitialising of a GM type synth and is used in conjunction with other Midi data to simulate variations in Gain found during long held notes. CC11 has no effect on Audio Tracks. In BIAB, Reset Controllers are sent at the start of a generation sequence. In RealBand, it is up to the user to sort out Data problems such as the carry over of Midi settings from a previous song: eg: Bends, CC1 Modulations or Sustain, etc.
I think I may have figured this out. RB remembers the controller setting, at least for Expression (EXP) from one song to the next and from one session to the next. By going into my RB folder on my hard drive, I was able to find a folder called Templates. In that folder, there was a template called: Regular_New_File.SEQ . Opening this seems to have reset RB's expression (controller 11) values to 127. On all subsequent .MGU files for all midi tracks EXP is now correctly set to 127. After this, opening a new session, also has Expression set to 127 for all midi tracks. Hopes this may help others.
This is not RB remembering, but the synths you are using. For example - if the previous song ended with a fade out using CC11 Expression then the next song would have no sound on those channnels previously faded. If you can reset the Synth manually then switch off and on after 5 seconds (Ketron SD2 and other external Synths). For internal synths such as Creative Soundfonts then this could mean a reboot of the PC to clear.

For this reason, I set up a .seq file in my early days with Powertracks which has Midi Data posted on all of the first 16 tracks/channels which not only includes resets for each channel but other Midi control data which I might need to vary such as the Bend Range. Looking at it now, it is overkill but has worked for some 15 years without a problem. This file can be copyied into the Clipboard via "File > Load Scrap and "Pasted - merging with existing Data" to the top of a previously loaded Song. The Midi Data is posted to the start of each of the first 16 tracks and prevents hangups such as you have experienced.

I hope this is of some use.
Thanks LynB, appreciate your insight on this. What's odd is that I haven't been using the hardsynths for about a week now and went back to do some quick idea generation just using Forte. Not only were the hardsynths turned off, even the midi interface and keyboards were powered off. Nonetheless, all is well now once I loaded the template. It certainly seems to have reset something.
© PG Music Forums