PG Music Home
If I was to want to have a track use a different effect at certain places in a song is that possible in RB? Like if I wanted to add chorusing to just the chorus of a song, can I select measures X to measure Y and apply an effect (over the top of what is already there) to only those measures?

I never tried it and I am not at home to try it right now, but I wondered if anybody can answer that before I try and find out it isn't possible. I know I could clone that section to another track and do it that way but it just seems "sexier" somehow to apply effects to specific zones in a track.
You can't do it non-destructively; you'll have to use separate tracks.
Boo.... Thought I could do it like in Protools.
Wishlist it

I've gotten so used to doing this that it would probably take me months to change to the new way.
Hi Eddie,

In PowerTracks you can use the built-in PG audio effects on a section if you highlight the bit you want to process. It doesn't work if you use other effects as an insert or send, at least I can't get it to work.

If you are happy with the PG effects that come with RB, then it will do what you want and you can always use the "undo" under the edit menu.
Can't you do this with aux bus automated sends and draw the automation of the send levels?

This is old-hat for every other DAW on the market. Those of you that go on about how RB is as much a DAW as any other, well, if this doesn't work - then it's another strike against using it as a typically featured DAW. No, other DAW software doesn't autogenerate tracks - they don't claim that - they claim to be a Digital Audio Workstation, for which this kind of work is a walk in the park.

Honestly, this is VERY common to do this with automation via aux bus sends, where the different effects are on aux returns at 100 percent 'wet', and you just vary the send amounts for the different effects at the various sections you want the effect to be audible.

Is RB still limited to volume track and pan automation only? I thought that got fixed awhile back?

I should ask to be put on a beta evaluation team, since I would try stuff that is typical elsewhere, but I think PG only sends beta evaluation invites to current product users. Seems a bit of a mistake to me to do it that way. I would think one would want a mix of current users, and users lurking in the wings waiting for some things to catch up to what the rest of the market currently uses regularly. Real automation is one of those things.
Check out the Piano Roll Window, Select Control which gives you the option of drawing in automation for Audio Aux Send 1,2 3 and 4.

As regards to being on the Beta Testing Team (if there is one), why not Email PGMusic and ask to be considered for the next session. I am sure that independant views would be appreciated.
Looks like you can automate aux sends. This is the way to do it for the time being, until RB gets what other softwares call clip-based automation for effects.
© PG Music Forums