PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 1/4 note triplets - 05/09/13 11:03 PM
I STILL have the worst time trying to program 1/4 note triplets.

I am trying to get an accent on 1, 2+ and 4 and no matter how I push, pull, fold, collate, staple....

Can someone show me the correct programming for that?

This is what I am after.

Posted By: LynB Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/10/13 01:45 PM
In the Editable Notation Edit Window, click on the line at the top of Display to position the cursor over a note, right click and choose the treble and/or bass resolution required for that specfic note.
Posted By: Chris_Kn Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/10/13 07:35 PM
Can't answer the question but would ask one though. What you are saying are 1/4 note triplets aren't. 1/4 note triplets are 3 into 2, not three into four.That's how BiaB sees them..What you are trying to do is increase the length of the note, when really 1/4 note triplet note lengths are less then 1 beat.. That might be why you are not having much luck..
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/10/13 11:12 PM
Wow. You are exactly right. My theory used to be better than what I just asked. I need to program HALF note triplets.

At any rate, I am trying to determine the right places to do the ^ or the ^^ or whatever to make that rhythmic pattern for intros and to set up sections and I just CAN NOT get it right. The answer that was suggested.... I have never even touched that feature in RB and doubt if I could even find it. I am talking about programming when working in the chord chart.
Posted By: jford Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/11/13 01:28 AM
Eddie, it's just simple math.

I'm making the assumption that you are talking about the melody or soloist track, since the other tracks are determined by the selected style.

So, since BIAB has a resolution of 120 ticks per quarter note and you want three notes across 4 beats, that would be a total of 480 ticks, divided by 3, which is 160 ticks per note. So the first note would be on Beat 1, tick 1; the second note would start on Beat 2, tick 40 (120+40=160); and the third note would start on Beat 3, tick 20 (which is 320 ticks into the bar). Another 160 ticks brings you back to tick one on Beat 1 of the next bar.

Hope that made sense.
Posted By: LynB Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/11/13 08:33 AM
There are number of options available to you with which to experiment such as John's method above. Also note that you can alter the Meter on a Measure by Measure basis. For Example: Numerator 3/4 is three beats for a whole note - Numerator 6/4 gives you three beats for a half note. Again 6/8 time gives you three beats to the half Measure.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/11/13 01:21 PM
John, the math makes perfect sense, but what I am trying to figure out is how to program it in the chord chart using the ^ marks to push or pull or whatever it's called here. I am not doing real time notation or playing it real time. It would seem that the middle figure, the one on 2 +, is the only one I need to mess with. One is on one and 4 is on 4, but that one on the AND after 2 I can't get to center. I don't know how to tell the chord chart to play off the beat but a full half beat. Do I put the chord in on 3 and pull it forward with ^, ^^, or ^^^, or ^^^^ ....? (Which brings up the question of how far each ^ pulls the note. And why we can only use 2 of them.)

Got to be a way.

If you listen to Gary Moore's Power Of The Blues and listen to the pickup, THAT is what I am trying to achieve. Or Patty Loveless You Can Feel Bad. Same exact pickup.

A figure on ONE, another on TWO AND, and another on FOUR. I have tried every combination of notation shorthand I can think of and can't make that play exactly in time.
Posted By: rharv Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/11/13 03:46 PM
Tried it with 3/8, 3/8, and 2/8 after 4 bars of 4/4/ .. seems to work fine. (except for the phasy mp3 compression)
Don't forget to set it back to 4/4 on the next measure.

Using Chord chart may be a battle.
http://audiomastering-online.com/stuff/timetest.mp3
Posted By: raymb1 Re: 1/4 note triplets - 05/11/13 04:18 PM
Click on the "C7" button to the right of the title bar and you can push the 3rd beat ahead by 1/4 OR 1/2 a beat. Later, Ray

I should have said that you can do this in BIAB, then go to RB.
© PG Music Forums