PG Music Home
Posted By: perdido New RealBand User - Advice - 01/27/15 08:22 PM
I have used BIAB, but am just now familiarizing myself with RealBand. Listening to a tune that had been modified using RealBand "triggered" my interest. I then realized it was just what I had been looking for.

I would like to approach learning RealBand in an organized and productive manner. My sources will be the ".PDF" files in the RealBand directory, the Youtube instructionals, and experimentation.

I would appreciate reading suggestions about learning RealBand.
Which subjects should I read and learn first ? Any suggestions on using the Youtube videos more effectively ? Sometime the videos can be hard to keep up with. What helped you most when you were learning how to use RealBand.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: ROG Re: New RealBand User - Advice - 01/27/15 09:13 PM
Hi Perdido.

I imagine you're going to get a lot of advice on this one, but my personal view is to learn as much as you can about the BARS window and the MIXER window. You can pick up a lot by using the on-board help menu.

The BARS window is a great environment where you can generate and regenerate all or part of tracks and you can cut/copy/paste any number and mix of audio and midi bars to any other part of the song.

The MIXER is the real powerhouse of Realband. When you get to know it, you can do almost anything with it. Start with simple mixing until you become familiar with it and then move on to looking at effects, channel and master inserts and automation. Anything you can't find in the help menus, ask on here and there are a lot of experienced users who are always happy to help.

ROG.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New RealBand User - Advice - 01/27/15 10:32 PM
Hi Perdido
I use the Tracks window (Control-1) and the Mixer window (Control-8) mostly.
The Tracks window lets me regenerate part of a bar, set VST's etc. You can also use Automation for volume handling etc.

There are fewer Real Band videos than BiaB so you should be able to follow them reasonably well
Start off at the Beginner Section on this page and work down.

Don't be too concerned about how difficult Real Band might be, it's quite straightforward actually, and much more powerful than BiaB

Hope this helps

Trev
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New RealBand User - Advice - 01/28/15 09:43 AM
There will likely be as many different answers to your question on how to use real band (RB) as there are people posting to give you answers.

Me.... I use it simply to generate tracks. I complete the song first in BiaB as far as it's structure goes.... then I save it, close it, and reopen it in RB.

RB generates the tracks as audio tracks. I operate in the track view screen. I don't often listen to the track in RB. Yeah, I know that sounds strange but it's true. I highlight one of the existing original tracks and then click on one of the empty tracks and select "Generate a real track" and choose my new track from the drop down.

After I have generated the tracks, I export them to a folder and load them from there into my DAW.

That's the extent of what I do in real band.

Of course, this is just one way to use it..... It is a functional DAW and has tons of other features that I don't use or in some cases, even know about.
Posted By: rharv Re: New RealBand User - Advice - 01/28/15 09:46 PM
The fastest way to learn is to jump in and start using it. Post questions here for stuff you can't figure out.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New RealBand User - Advice - 02/01/15 06:29 PM
The most important thing to remember is the first time you save a new project to be sure to look at the drop down so that you're saving the .seg file - that's the RB project file. smile It's a good idea to do that when you first import your BIAB file into Realband so you won't forget later.

Josie
Posted By: GHinCH Re: New RealBand User - Advice - 02/03/15 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: perdido

What helped you most when you were learning how to use RealBand.

smile Patience.

Patience with me.
Patience with the program.

I'm still learning.

First advice: Do something easy.
Your first project should not be something like the "Flight of the Bumble-Bee" in a heavy metal version with a 48-piece band.
Three to five instruments in a simple arrangement is good. Then change instruments, change styles. Check help files and videos when you run into a problem.

Second advice: Reading help files helps.
It even helps reading them in advance. But you might read them several times, when reading in advance.

Third advice: Follow rharv's suggestion.

Edit: ... and the one by Sundance.

Good luck.
© PG Music Forums