PG Music Home
Posted By: bobbyt9999 VSTI/DXI - 03/14/09 03:14 PM
FYI... I gave up trying to download my purchase - the UltraPak - it's just too big. I've been sitting here all afternoon trying to get it - and only got about 1/3 of the files. I'm going to wait until it gets here in the mail.

I'm still totally lost about "DX/VST"... all I want to do is to be able to put some effects - reverb, etc - on my voice and guitar when I start recording them. Is there a specific site where I can get them? What should I be looking for when I get there?

Thanks for the help... I'm sure I'll be back for more once I get the software.

Bobby
Posted By: Mac Re: VSTI/DXI - 03/14/09 03:16 PM
Bobby, I strongly recommend starting out with the pgmusic DX effects included with the programs.

They are world class in sound and you have quite a bit to learn about using these programs before delving into adding more effects, save that for a bit later and then all should make a lot more sense to you.

--Mac
Posted By: tcaylor Re: VSTI/DXI - 03/15/09 02:33 PM
I'll try to help out on the DX/Vst explanation. Plug-in's are software components that extend the functionality of a program, i.e. effects added to RB, Sonar, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc. which are referred to as hosts. The plug-in doesn't work stand alone without a host. As such, DX (Direct X) is Microsoft's version for technology add-ons. VST (not sure what the acronym actually is) is Steinberg's version. Steinberg is the producer of Cubase, another popular DAW. Most DAWs including RB support both types although VST is closer to being the standard.

You also have DXi/VSTi software components known as software synthesizers. RB comes with the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas. If you have external midi keyboards or sound modules, you won't need to use software synthesizers unless you are looking for variety in sounds. I must say though that software synthesizers are very convenient, and easy method of playback.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Posted By: vicem Re: VSTI/DXI - 04/29/09 06:44 PM
What about using a BBE with vocals with the BIB and RB?
Posted By: Luvs3rds Re: VSTI/DXI - 04/29/09 07:13 PM
Don't remember what that is. Is it like a Sonic Maximizer or something? Most people record dry, and add effects later, but you could do an effects loop in a mixer, where your mic is, and then go into BB or RB to record. There are effects like that already built in to BB and RB, that are stellar in quality.

Gene
Posted By: rharv Re: VSTI/DXI - 04/29/09 09:15 PM
The Sonic Maximizer plugin from BBE will work fine in RB
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: VSTI/DXI - 04/29/09 11:45 PM
Quote:

Don't remember what that is. Is it like a Sonic Maximizer or something? Most people record dry, and add effects later, but you could do an effects loop in a mixer, where your mic is, and then go into BB or RB to record. There are effects like that already built in to BB and RB, that are stellar in quality.

Gene

Record your vocals dry and THEN add the FX in the mixdown. Otherwise, you will get unwanted artifacts if you have edit the vocal with reverb in it.

Trax
© PG Music Forums