PG Music Home
Posted By: silvertones Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 12:24 PM
I have converted 100+ MGU files in RB to songs with all RT except the piano. When finished I convert the piano MIDI track to an audio track using the Forte DXi 1.6. I then remove the midi track and am left with just audio tracks. Now I want to check all of my songs for visual consistency so I load the first song in the folder. Then using SHIFT+F8 I load the next song and so on. About 20 songs into this process I get a warning box that has a header:
"Forte DXi" and the message " Not enough virtual memory space to map soundfont". If I click OK the next song loads. At that point the message appears every time I try to load a song. None of the songs are using the Forte DXi any longer. If I shut the program down I can then load about 20 songs again and then the message appears. I removed the Forte DXi and the problem goes away. I reinstalled the Forte DXi and it comes back. Not sure if it's an issue with Forte or RB however it's an issue that requires fixing as you can't use the Forte like this.
Posted By: rharv Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 12:48 PM
Is the Forte still being called for in th 'map all midi to default DXi, or still assigned to a softsynth port on a blank track? Sounds like its still getting loaded from somewhere.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 01:16 PM
Yep didn't even notice that. rharv you the man on PT for sure! BUT lets suppose I was using the Forte and playing live. This message will keep coming up.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 03:57 PM
Well I went through the whole list of songs & reset all MIDI tracks to the default driver and then saved. THIS DID NOT HELP. By the way I'm getting the same sort of error message for the other VSTi plug I used. Something is really amiss here.
Posted By: Mac Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 04:24 PM
Prefs -> MIDI -> Device -> Use DXi?

That would make ONE instance the default player.

Tracks View and Ports, all that, I think it invokes a new instance each time.

Dunno how you'd strip out all that hoopla from a file that has it invoked on each track, though. Should be possible.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 04:50 PM
Don't have that checked. I have the A2ZS card selected.
When I went back to each song and reset each MIDI track to the default MIDI driver ( A2ZS ) it should have stripped it all out but did not. I'm trying a little experiment now. I have the Juke Box playing the whole file of 100 songs to see what happens. Don't expect much but we'll see.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 04:59 PM
Watching the task mgr realband.exe is only using 130,000K of memory and it goes up or down depending on the song playing. I was sort of wondering if it was accumulating but it's not.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 05:49 PM
Well that's that. I uninstalled Forte DXi 1.6 and everything is fine. I'll use the VSC DXi and see if it happens with it.
Posted By: rharv Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 07:53 PM
Send Norm at Forte a note on this..
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/15/09 08:08 PM
I just can't understand why if none of the songs are no longer using the Forte, It's not listed in the tracks and it's not the default why is it loading on each song and more importantly not un loading.
I did email Coyote. I don't have Norm's email though.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/16/09 06:28 PM
Well I can't do without the Forte Grand Piano so I reinstalled and will figure something out. I haven't heard anything from Peter, Andrew or Norm. I'm sure at some point they'll address this.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 06:30 AM
This is an interesting problem and I think I found what it is but I don't know how to fix it.
I also use the Forte as my default synth but as you'll see, that doesn't matter. I just played around with a seq that is 7 audio tracks, no midi. I unchecked the "reroute, etc" box but on the first midi track it still says Forte is the default synth at the bottom of the port list, port 16. I went back to the devices window and the first thing on the synth list is "none" so I selected it and exited but going back to the song, it still has Forte as the default in port 16. I did this a couple of times with the same result so I tried to load a VSTi that I never use and never set up in RB. After a string of error boxes, it finally said this synth failed to load and now it gives me "none" in the synth box and in the last midi port all it says is "synth 16 (default)" and there is no synth 16 so that would probably work for you but it's not very elegant.
I think the answer is you have to get "none" in the synth box to stick.
A return to factory settings will probably do it but that's clunky because you may want to use a synth and as soon as you do, RB will automatically use it as the default. I tried three different synths that I do use all the time and every time I picked one in that box, RB put it in port 16 as the default without me doing anything else so it's nothing to do with Forte it's whatever is the last synth selected and selecting none after that doesn't do anything. Funny I never noticed that before.
Obviously it's not an issue until you want to play 21 songs in a row.
Well I just had an idea but it didn't work either. I saved the song with "none" in the synth box and closed RB but when I reopened, the VSC is still the default because that's the last one I used. I'm thinking the factory default settings is the only way to do this and only select the forte on one track. I think if you do that and never put a default synth in the box, that may work but who want's to do that? As soon as you put anything in the default, the next time you want to jukebox your songs, you have to return to factory settings again.

Bob
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 12:13 PM
Bob,
I think you may be on to it but not sure. I can't get "NONE" to stick either but I don't think that will help. No matter what I do If I used the Forte, and I suspect any other synth in the track/song, it continues to show up in the port list as port 1 with the default synth at port 16. If I open a new worksheet just the default synth is listed in port 16. So even though we may get "NONE" to stick as the default synth, port 1 will always show up with the synth that was used even though the tracks have been converted to audio and the MIDI track removed.
I think if I was to use the VSC DXi the same thing would happen. I'm convinced it's a RB issue. Never showed up in PT as I don't think anyone is using it to cycle through a lot of songs.
It does also happen in PT.
This is really screwing things up.
Bob and what if you actually wanted to use the Forte or any other DXi for a lot of songs. Couldn't do it as the same problem would arise. I don't know if PG is looking into this or not. I emailed Peter & Andrew but so far zip.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 12:21 PM
OK so I took one of my songs that I used the Forte on & even though it's no longer being used it shows up in port 1 as mentioned above. I took this song and added a midi part and this time used the VSC DXi for the track. I then converted the track to audio and removed the MIDI track. I saved the song. Shut down and reopened RB and loaded the song. Now I have the Forte on Port 1, VSC on port 2, Defaul on port 16. It seems that the problem keeps compounding.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 03:13 PM
I don't think that's a problem because when you open the port list for the track, the top half of the list is your soundcard's midi ports and just click the top one and that puts that track back to no synth and that does stick. I just put Forte on a track then removed it that way and no problem.
I've got to get to work but try returning to factory settings, don't select a default synth and just go track by track and afterward remove each synth this way and I think that should work. You would think there should be a way to simply deselect the default without resetting everything but I don't see it.

Bob
Posted By: LynB Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 03:37 PM
I use designated DXi and VSTi synths in ports 17 to 32 and fix these by opening the DXi/VSTi Panel and selecting Options > Save Default DXi Synths. The selected Synths always appear for the same Port numbers when the using the DXi/VSTi Panel. If you want none then select None and use the same path but remember that this a universal setting

Lyn
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 08:17 PM
I went through that once as mentioned before. Remember the problem crops up AFTER loading at least 20 songs in a row. Have either of you done that? I'm in the process of re saving all of the songs with all of the MIDI trcks assigned to the A2ZSNB
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/17/09 09:51 PM
I just furter confirmed a problem.
I opened the DXi/VSTi synth panel config for each. Each song had only 1 synth open. I changed this synth on each song to none and then resaved the song. I can now open all 100 songs without confronting the error. This fixes things for me but what about those using a DXi or VSTi? The song/program is not releasing the instance of the DXi when it closes the song and opens a new song.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/18/09 11:39 AM
Thanks Peter,

Here's how I've been doing the songs.Midi out to my Audigy to ZS Notebook. "re-route midi playback........." UNCHECKED
1. Load the .MGU into RB
2. Remove all tracks except the Real Drums & Midi Piano
3. Set all BB tracks to regular tracks.
4. Create all of the Real Tracks one at a time.
5. Right click on the MIDI piano part > Specific DXi/VSTi Synth for MIDI track > Forte DXi plugin
6. I then usually save the song.
7. I then right click the Midi Piano track >select Whole Track> auto convert IMT to audio Track.
8. Remove the Midi Track.
9. Save the song.
The Forte shows up as Synth 1 in the Synth Panel Configuration window drop down.
So at this point there are no synths being use on any tracks and the synth that was used is Synth 1 on all 100 songs. If I try to open these songs one at a time using Shift/F8 I eventually get the memory error at around the twentieth song.
Yes for my purpose I just changed all of the Synth 1 (Forte) to "NONE" and there's no problem.
I emailed Coyote info@.... I don't have Norm's email so couldn't contact him directly.
_*I brought this up not as an individual problem but as a problem that's going to affect anyone that is actually using a DXi/VSTi in other then the DEFAULT slot.

*_I did a little experiment. You can also do this.
I took 2 of my songs and copied them to a folder I called test. I then added a midi piano to each and assigned the FORTE to each of the midi tracks and saved the songs. The Forte is loaded into Synth 1 on each song.
1. I then restarted RB
2. Opened the first song in the test folder
3. using Shift/F8 I cycled loading these 2 songs
4. at 16 the error message showed up.
5. I redid the 2 songs using the VSC DXi _*THE PROBLEM DID NOT OCCUR.*_

I think Norm may have a problem. Forte is not releasing.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Another Major Issue - 03/18/09 07:36 PM
Quote:

Right click on the MIDI piano part > Specific DXi/VSTi Synth for MIDI track > Forte DXi plugin

...I just changed all of the Synth 1 (Forte) to "NONE" and there's no problem.
I emailed Coyote [Email]info@....[/Email] I don't have Norm's email so couldn't contact him directly.

...I redid the 2 songs using the VSC DXi _*THE PROBLEM DID NOT OCCUR.*_

I think Norm may have a problem. Forte is not releasing.

This is getting tricky. You know how we all will say to someone who has a problem that they need to post exactly what they did especially what boxes or whatever they checked? This is the first time you specified you added the synth in this way by using the "<Specific DXi/VSTi Synth for MIDI track > This is different from what I was describing. I always use multiple synths like Forte, Sampletank, Garritan etc. Therefore, I always right click below the track name and click on the port. That opens up the port list. Click on the next available port and it opens up the DXI/VSTi list. This assigns that synth to that port only. Frankly, I don't know what the difference is but "<Specific DXi/VSTi Synth for MIDI track > opens up a different window and seems to act a little differently. I'm very busy at work right now so I'm only making suggestions and observations, don't have time to mess around with 20 or more songs to test. I'm not necessarily saying this is adding to the problem because I don't know, I'm just saying it's different and you need to be very precise in describing a problem.

Another point is it doesn't seem to be a real problem anymore beyond maybe PG adding a FAQ about it. You can now remove the synth and jukebox the songs, right? For me and i suspect the vast majority of users, I may open at the most 4 or 5 songs in one session and usually only 1 so this never becomes an issue.

A final comment, I still think this is not Forte's problem because Forte's sampleset is much larger than the VSC sampleset and therefore takes up way more memory. I suspect but certainly don't know, if you were to use the VSC the same thing would occur, it would just take more songs before you got that error message because of less memory usage.

Bob
Posted By: silvertones Re: Another Major Issue - 03/18/09 09:15 PM
At this point it's up to Peter, Jeff & Norm to sort out or not.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Another Major Issue - 03/25/09 05:55 PM
Hello,

We were able to duplicate this and will look into it further. As you've found, a workaround is to not select it in the Synth 1-15 slots. 1 - if the song doesn't have MIDI tracks, you can just make sure that the Forte synth is not selected in the synth panel setup.
2 - if you are ONLY using the Forte synth, just select it as your Default DXi synth.
3 - if you are using multipl DXi synths in the song, still select the ForteDXi as the the default synth (but leave the re-route box unchecked).
Posted By: Dusty widget Re: Another Major Issue - 03/31/09 05:56 PM
Search windows help file virtual memory you can increase the amount of virtual memory on your hard disk. This gives you some more space on your hard disk for virtual memory. Since I put to about six gig I don't have the problem as often.

Virtual memory is memory that the computer uses that is on the hard disk.

I have the same problem and the only fix I know is reboot.
© PG Music Forums