PG Music Home
Posted By: HearToLearn Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/03/15 01:36 PM
In piano roll, if I have two notes that happen at the same time, but I would like to change the velocity of one of them, is there an easy way to do this besides the even list?

Thanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/03/15 07:57 PM
Try clicking on the desired note in the top pane to change it's color, then use the Velocity adjust to draw it down in the lower pane. If the note remains selected it should change just the one note.

I don't like working this way, but have had success doing so during testing.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/03/15 09:34 PM
I've been known to select and move the note 'sideways' on the timeline, until it is in its own clear space, adjust the velocity, then slide it back. Not a good work practice, I know, but with the overlap of big piano chords, I often find it frustrating to pick the right note.

It would be an improvement if the velocity bar of the selected note came 'to the front' and had focus.
Trevor
Posted By: rharv Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/04/15 12:05 AM
I think it does, but isn't apparent.
Try my posted solution and see if it works.
Highlight the note first, then drag the velocity. It seemed to work here when checked in the Event List to verify.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/04/15 10:07 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I think it does, but isn't apparent.
Try my posted solution and see if it works.
Highlight the note first, then drag the velocity. It seemed to work here when checked in the Event List to verify.

Hi Bob, definitely not in my setup, I select the note, then as soon as I attempt to drag velocity, the loudest note takes over. Some selected notes don't even show in the velocity window.
Here's my results below (with explanations). I'll be very interested to know what I'm doing differently !
(Damn, if only my timing wasn't so perfect <grin>)
Trevor

Attached picture 2015-08-04_22-57-10.jpg
Attached picture 2015-08-04_22-59-11.jpg

Description: Select one note, try to change velocity of that note and a different note is selected by the program (!)
Attached picture 2015-08-04_23-11-08.jpg
Attached picture 2015-08-04_23-05-49_1a.jpg
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/04/15 01:13 PM
Rharv, thanks for the suggestion but for me, both notes velocities change.

I tried a bunch of different key combos too...alt, shift, command...same result.

I did contact pg and was told you can't as well.

Bummer if that's true. Still love the product though!

Thanks for the responses!
Posted By: ROG Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/04/15 07:40 PM
Try using the notation window instead of piano roll.

In the notation window, right click on the note to open a dialogue box where you can alter various parameters including velocity.

ROG.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano Roll Velocity Question - 08/04/15 11:29 PM
It's a good workaround ROG, albeit a slower way to work through a lot of notes.
There's also the Staff Roll Notation mode, which allows velocity and length to be adjusted, but this too is a little difficult with tight chords.

Attached picture 2015-08-05_12-26-54.jpg
© PG Music Forums