PG Music Home
Posted By: Rich59 Distortion issue - 08/27/15 11:01 AM
When recording with my ES335 If I strum with a pick I am getting distortion which no matter my input and output settings I cannot seem to eliminate. Fingerstyle and single note lines are fine. Any suggestions?

I am running a Podxt into a two channel Tascam interface to the computer.
Thanks again
Rich
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Distortion issue - 08/27/15 01:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Rich59
When recording with my ES335 If I strum with a pick I am getting distortion which no matter my input and output settings I cannot seem to eliminate. Fingerstyle and single note lines are fine. Any suggestions?

I am running a Podxt into a two channel Tascam interface to the computer.
Thanks again
Rich

Hi Rich. Does it do that through an amp as well? Sounds like you're overdriving some input in the signal path.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Distortion issue - 08/27/15 01:17 PM
You already know when you are strumming something is overloading, the question is where and what, the Pod xt, the TASCAM, or inside the computer.

You can check the computer by accessing the Windows record panel by right clicking on the speaker icon or through the control panel then selecting the record option. Lower all the record faders a little bit and see if that makes a difference.

You may be able to bypass the TASCAM and eliminate it from the signal chain. The Podxt can be used for a recordind interface once you install and select the drivers. If you have a reason to use the TASCAM you can switch settings between line and instrument to change the input impedence in case there is an impedence mismatch.

The Podxt has several outputs so try a different one.
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Distortion issue - 08/27/15 07:37 PM
solved, All this time I have been recording with the guitar volume all the way up. I was always told to do that. Maybe with digital recording it isn't necessary? Anyway problem solved. Thanks for your help.
Rich
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Distortion issue - 08/28/15 04:29 PM
SMH...... it pays to check the obvious stuff.... no?

Funny though.

Glad you solved it.
© PG Music Forums