PG Music Home
I bought a new PC for video production, and installed BIAB on it too. For some reason, in RealBand I only get sound out of one speaker or headphone.

BIAB and all other audio apps work as expected. In fact, if RB is still loaded, and I open another audio app that usually works correctly. *IT* will only play out of one headphone or speaker too.

In all my years of using RB on multiple computers, I've never encountered this before. Anybody have any ideas?

The computer is an HP ENVY
Beats Audio
12 gigs ram
AMD A10-7700 Radeon R7
10 compute cores
4C + 6G 3.4GHz

Windows 8.1 x64

as far as the computer's settings... all I can say is that BIAB works as expected. Only RB behaves differently
Hi Pat,

I wonder if it might be the setting for "merge audio to mono".

Have a look at this thread and see if it helps.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Pat,

I wonder if it might be the setting for "merge audio to mono".

Have a look at this thread and see if it helps.

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel! Thanks for taking time to help troubleshoot my problem!
I read the thread, then checked the state of the MERGE checkbox... and it was unchecked.

Also, unlike John's problem (which resulted in saved files that continued being mono when reopened in other apps) when I save a song that sounds like it's mono in RB and open it in another app... it is stereo. So whatever is causing this is just affecting playback, and only in RealBand.
Have you checked that the mono setting in the mixer window is not engaged? It's below slider #12.
Also, you could try forcing a whole new reconfiguration by renaming the REALBAND.INI file and RB.CFG to something like REALBAND.INI.OLD and RB.CFG.OLD. This will mean that you'll need to reconfigure RB to your hardware, though. (I put that last bit in just so others who read the thread are aware of what happens when those files are deleted. I'm pretty sure you know the consequences.)
Have a look on RB Mixer ALL Pan.
Is it using MME or ASIO.
Has Win 8.1 got a Pan on the System Mixer.
Have you checked that the mono setting in the mixer window is not engaged? It's below slider #12.

I just checked, and it is not engaged
Also, you could try forcing a whole new reconfiguration by renaming the REALBAND.INI file and RB.CFG to something like REALBAND.INI.OLD and RB.CFG.OLD. This will mean that you'll need to reconfigure RB to your hardware, though. (I put that last bit in just so others who read the thread are aware of what happens when those files are deleted. I'm pretty sure you know the consequences.)

I have done this several times, to no avail. In fact, it was the first thing I tried.
If you have both the internal sound card and an external sound card, Pat, maybe try switching from the internal sound card to an external one and see if it does the same thing?

Just a thought. I've not seen this before.
Originally Posted By: solidrock
Have a look on RB Mixer ALL Pan.

I hadn't looked at this until you mentioned it, but the ALL pan the ones for each track are all set at top dead center

Quote:
Is it using MME or ASIO?

currently it is set at MME because I only wanted this installation to be used for final tweaks (so I didn't have to keep running from my video room to my band room.)

My gut feeling is that the problem has to do with the computer's native sound... so if I bring my audio interface into play and use its ASIO driver, it may fix the problem (haven't tried that yet)

But... if it *IS* in fact the computer's sound... I would expect it to affect BIAB's output too.. but it doesn't. The same settings that work perfectly with BIAB don't work in RB. Weird!

Quote:
Has Win 8.1 got a Pan on the System Mixer.

In response to your suggestion, I checked. Nope. The Windows mixer has everything centered... which makes sense, since BIAB uses the windows settings too, and it works fine.

My theory is that RB and BIAB handle their output differently, and RB is just not going to be happy until it has an ASIO driver on this system.
Check Prefs-Audio Settings - Drivers (button)

Ensure that a stereo pair of output drivers is available (highlighted) ..
Some systems list left/right separately as 1 and 2 or such.
Originally Posted By: rharv
Check Prefs-Audio Settings - Drivers (button)

Ensure that a stereo pair of output drivers is available (highlighted) ..
Some systems list left/right separately as 1 and 2 or such.

Thanks for weighing in Bob!

The system options for output in my case didn't come up with separate L and R... I just had options for system speakers, system heaphones or system digital outputs.

Default system setting on all of these was 24 bit 48,000 sample rate. I seem to recall from a previous thread that RB likes 44,100, but that option wasn't available on some of the outputs. ("your system does not support that setting")

Yesterday I installed the Focusrite driver so I could avoid using the system sound, and the problem went away.

Still seems strange that BIAB worked fine with the system sound, but RB didn't

Thanks to everybody who offered suggestions... every one of you suggested things that hadn't occurred to me. It's great to be part of a community that includes people who still have functioning brain cells. ;-)
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

My theory is that RB and BIAB handle their output differently, and RB is just not going to be happy until it has an ASIO driver on this system.

just curious asio4all tried??
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

just curious asio4all tried??

I did not try asio4all Mike... but I'll log that idea for future reference!
© PG Music Forums