PG Music Home
Posted By: jonel Including pickup notes in a song - 12/31/16 04:08 AM
I want to include pickup notes at the beginning of a song. Do these get placed in the offset region prior to the song starting at bar 1 if I want to ensure the bar count is correct for the song?

John Lundrigan
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Including pickup notes in a song - 12/31/16 10:30 AM
There's no one definitive way to do pickup notes so your question is a bit hard to answer. But I don't think the pickup notes have to precede bar one. It's possible to change the number of bars for one measure, mute instruments leaving one instrument playing the pickup notes and some styles and instruments seem to automatically start a song with pickup notes. Lot's of choices to accomplish the task.

Charlie
Posted By: jonel Re: Including pickup notes in a song - 12/31/16 11:38 AM
Thank you for your prompt reply Charlie.

I agree with what you say and in Ableton and SONAR I don't really have an issue with it because the bars are all played consecutively even when when Fake Sheet repeats and and endings occur.

Even BIAB I always do this and don't use the built in mechanism for repeating choruses. But if I want to use Fake Sheet construction or the BIAB/RB repeat parameter then I felt there was a need to exclude the pick-up notes and ensure they are played before the first verse starts.

Regards

John Lundrigan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Including pickup notes in a song - 01/01/17 11:09 AM
The steel guitar pickup on this song One More Round was done by the PG software. I'd have to open the file to see how it was handled in BB and in RB. I did not have to do any editing to get those notes to play where they do.

However, when I clicked PLAY in RB, the pickup notes are there. I don't mix in PG so I tend to always export the tracks and work in Sonar. When I import the tracks to Sonar, they come in with 2 blank (count in) measures before the music starts in bar/measure 3. The drum track has the count in, and in this case, the pickup notes were in their proper place starting in M2 on the steel track.
© PG Music Forums