PG Music Home
Posted By: Phil Babylon Midi Volume - 04/08/17 07:24 PM
Hi.
Looking for help again from those more knowledgeable than me!

I have a song composed in Realband that has a midi string track. Despite setting the volume in the track view, each time the song plays the volume jumps immediately the track begins. My pan settings are also overridden.

I'd assumed there must be some controller that is overriding the track volume and pan, but when I look in the event list I see only notes, nothing that can explain the volume jump and the pan change.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Any help gratefully received

Regards

Spig
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi Volume - 04/08/17 07:33 PM
You might want to look on other tracks for a MIDI control change that happens on the affected MIDI channel(s).

Sometimes 'Track' does not align with MIDI 'channel'.

For MIDI, the Event List is reliable in my experience. But if the Event happens on a different track, it can be a bugger to find.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Midi Volume - 04/08/17 07:44 PM
Try looking in the Piano Roll under various control values, including Control & then Main Volume 7 (although that should show up in the Event List).

Also, try looking for a Patch Change at the start of the song.

Presumably the MIDI track doesn't have any Volume Nodes associated?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midi Volume - 04/08/17 08:58 PM
What are your sound sources? Some like Kontakt may ignore the track volume and pan and play the track at it's preset volume and pan. That is unless you put a CC7 and CC10 at the start of the track. I always have a blank measure or two at the start of a song that I put my initial volume, pan and any other setting.

Bob's advice is especially true on MIDI DLed from the Internet. Settings for one track may be hidden in other tracks.
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Midi Volume - 04/08/17 11:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll start hunting!!

Regards

Spig
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi Volume - 04/08/17 11:15 PM
Also, RB has a setting in Prefs that tells it to 'look back' for the last control/volume/patch change for that channel, so hitting play may cause it to look back and reset things to other than the changes you may have made (and not saved yet) when you hit play.
© PG Music Forums